LVR for the investment property

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Neeraj_I, 8th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Neeraj_I

Neeraj_I New Member

Hi ,

I am in process of buying my first investment property in QLD.The property value is expected to be at 400k. At this stage I have 150k equity that can be used for the deposit.

My goal is to create a property portfolio and would like to optimise the equity for the next investment property.

I would like to understand if keeping LVR at 80% is better to avoid LMI or do the loan at 90% LVR with LMI instead that will keep enough equity in hand for the next investment property.

Please let me know.

Thanks
    Neeraj

2. David R Sutantyo

David R Sutantyo Well-Known Member

if cashing out from the other properties still live them at 80% LVR or below, then 80% LVR is always ideal

3. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Commercial or residential ?

4. Neeraj_I

Neeraj_I New Member

Residential

5. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Dont know what 150k equity means. Is that market value less mortgage? If so you cant access all of it anyway.

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Always the optimist, not too many out there who'll jump into their first IP being a CIP. :rolleyes:

Last edited: 8th Jan, 2020
  7. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Did you get your first CIP while you were still in nappies SNM and mentoring others at college ? :)

Last edited: 8th Jan, 2020
    Scott No Mates likes this.
  8. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

The answer to your question needs to be taken in consideration to your future goals and circumstances.

You can settle this property with an 80% loan. If that were the only consideration, then it's fairly clear that this is the most cost effective option.

However what are your future goals? If you what to purchase more property, perhaps a 90% loan is more effective because you can keep some cash in reserve for that purpose.

This then raises another context question. Will you qualify for another loan in the near future or are you reaching your servicing limits for additional lending? No point in setting aside money for another deposit and paying LMI if you're not going to be able to use that money.

Realistically a more in depth understanding of the bigger picture is needed to give the best possible answer.

craigc, kierank and Neeraj_I like this.
  9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Pretty close - I was playing on my first stack of still-hot bricks back in the days of green bans. :p

Beano likes this.
  10. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Will your equity run out before serviceability vice versa?

11. Neeraj_I

Neeraj_I New Member

I have not assessed in detail serviceability for 2nd investment property yet. However will have extra income from my partner to help purchase the 2nd investment property. Hopefully in 18 months time.

12. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

That is the most important thing to answer because there is no point in paying LMI if you will not be able to borrow further after that.

see
    Strategy: Avoid LMI where your Servicing is Limited (and you have the cash) https://www.propertychat.com.au/community/threads/strategy-avoid-lmi-where-your-servicing-is-limited.18960/

Neeraj_I likes this.
  13. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Hi Neeraj,

If you want to build a portfolio, and you use your whole deposit how long will it take you to save the next one? Will you have anything left for a risk buffer?

I recently made a video about using LMI strategically but can't link to it as I'm on my phone right now. If you go to the Seed Financial Facebook page you should be able to find it easily. :)

Neeraj_I likes this.
  14. Neeraj_I

Neeraj_I New Member

Thanks Jess.. the video really helped

Jess Peletier likes this.
  15. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

some considerations

the LMI premium at 88 + cap LMI for a 400 k buy is around 5 k depreciable over 60 mths.

Small price to pay to allow future flexibiliity if you have the risk profile and resources to make it work.

Not enough info, but I feel you might need to go back even further than your purchase to basic first principles and ensure your PPOR and equity draw set up is optimised.

It may make the LMI question a MOOT point.

Your real goals and future resources need to be considered beyond what is obvious now

Here a post from earlier today that may apply for you with regards the DR piece.

Stop looking for the LOWEST interest rates

ta
    rolf

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia