QLD Lutwyche

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by ecca15, 12th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ecca15

ecca15 Active Member

Does anyone know much about the suburb Lutwyche? Looking on the map, it's surrounded by the popular suburbs of Windsor, Wooloowin, Grange and Gordon Park, but still seems affordable. The Lutwyche Road Corridor Neighbourhood Plan on the Brisbane council website looks promising for the area too.

2. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Good spot...it is expensive though the older walk ups can be good value if you take a longer term view.

3. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

pricy already imo

4. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Yes it is...but occaisional the older units are ok.

Kicking myself for not snapping up a small 2 brm unit for 270k with a small couryard. ...18 months ago!! Oh well ..you can't get it right all the time.

The other one I missed out was in Sherwood...250k...2 beddie....damn..!

samiam likes this.
  5. norwoodman

norwoodman Well-Known Member

Be careful with the amount of new development going on - there are a lot of new 4-5 level apartment blocks being built around the Lutwyche Road/busway corridor at the moment.

MelindaJennison and Whitecat like this.
  6. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

For one of my Brisbane purchases last year I had Lutwyche and Mount Gravatt East neck and neck and the decision came down to a property in each of these two postcodes.

Ultimately I went with MGE due to the property being in a very small block with a much larger land allocation to it. But Lutwyche is a great suburb, if you can still find value in it at this stage in the cycle.

Bran likes this.
  7. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

There are some decent areas back from the main road.
    But that main road is really busy.

Sackie and Whitecat like this.
  8. ecca15

ecca15 Active Member

Yes I heard Lutwyche rd was busy. I was more interested in the elevated pockets near on the Grange/ Windsor side. Looks like a few renovated and unrenovated houses have been put on the market recently.

9. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Azazel has summarized lutwyche.
    Nor that away from the road is actually pretty blue chip. In those avenues etc by kalinga park. It's basically the clayfield set.
    Quite a few units going in. Taking advantage of busway.
    If you can find something (not a unit) not exposed to gympie rd (by that i mean right back not even at end of street) and affordable then snap it up you won't go wrong.

10. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I had a bit of a looksie a while ago, it floods South of there from Enogerra Ck, I'd be wary of it around there from Kedron Brook too: floody.jpg

11. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Looks close to the city.

You could easily walk from the airport. Pass through Hendra and pat a few horses on the way through.

Prices look OK.

12. ecca15

ecca15 Active Member

Like a lot of Northside suburbs in Brisbane, Lutwyche and Windsor look quite hilly. Parts of Lutwyche are 30m high judging by the topographic maps. If that went under, the whole of Brisbane would be in trouble!

Attached Files:

13. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Lutwyche isn't known as a place that got smashed by the floods but azazel is quite correct you must always check the flood maps and perhaps you don't want to be right beside a creek unless you have a bit of height.
    Flood mapping is pretty good in Brisbane and they are reasonably conservative as well so if you are outside of that blue flood zone then you should be fine.

14. 733

733 Well-Known Member

This is an excellent suburb - billions of dollars of new road infrastructure surrounds all these suburbs completed in 2013 - five minutes to CBD - five minutes to the airport - many shopping centres, train line and very regular bus service along Gympie road - at Lutwyche you can catch a bus to the CBD every five minutes during peak hour - Gordon Park is a couple of minutes walk to Gympie road as well etc...houses are become a scarce commodity - not apartments in this suburb

15. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

Lutwyche and Wooloowin is great.
    I have my duplex townhouse on the hilly end of the map - smack bang right in between Lutwyche Shopping center and Wooloowin / Albion Train station.
    That pocket of property if you can find it is good buy and will appreciate CG into the future.
    Having a city view and stoney bridge view from the street level is a bonus as I can see the fireworks uninterrupted every NYE events.
    It is getting a bit expensive now, you won't find townhouse of any sort under $550k now as its already moving towards $600k and pushing over it come EOFY.
    10mins car drive to the CBD and 25 mins drive to the Airport, or catch the public transport - train / bus either way too.
    Not far from Chermside if you want to do the big ticket items shopping.
    Plenty of infrastructure to support the area and growth to follow.

16. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

What's wrong with Toombul? Besides all the beautiful people shopping there.

17. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of the east side of Lutwyche Rd.. there are too many heritage houses being removed to make way for soulless and substandard unit developments. The west side is quite nice although very hilly and the width of the streets can be very narrow.

I don't think the low lying areas around Kedron Brook are too much of a worry.. They didn't go under during 2011 and not as far as I know during 1 May 2015 (a horrendous downpour which flooding all low lying areas around north Brisbane). Unfortunately 1 May doesn't show up on Nearmaps.

18. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I can't remember, is it similar to Enogerra Ck/Northey St that floods when there's a massive rain or a king tide comes up the creek?

19. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

Damn it - maybe I should shop at Toombul and check out all the beautiful people.
    What time should I do my shopping there to see some action?

20. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Here's a tip: do your shopping up at Paddington, easier on your eyes for sure.