Low valuation and what to do next?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by krazibone, 28th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. krazibone

krazibone New Member

First time property investor and just had my valuation done today which came about 60k short, and was wondering what most people would do in a situation like this? I do have the excess to cover the short fall but was hoping that i didn't need to. This is an OTP property in Newstead I put a deposit down 2 years ago. In a situation like this what would most people do? Keep the property and hope it moves or settle and then put it up for sale? Seeing what options I have from this point forward.

I'm sure many people have experienced this but I am currently kicking myself for not listening to myself and not taking a tougher stance when buying my first property the only thing i can do is take it as a learning experience and hopefully bounce back on this set back. Missing detail is I got sucked in by a spruiker which I felt he was acting in his own interest and took myself as a beginner investor for a ride.

2. qak

qak Well-Known Member

I know someone who settled their OTP in Newstead about 3 years ago and the valuation is falling every year. Also had to offer rent-free period & rental reduction to the existing tenant to renew :(

I'm not seeing much positivity about the Brisbane unit market so would be inclined to get out sooner while it's still "new".

3. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

If you have good sevicing, try a valuer shop via a broker.

you may have the bet val already........... but you wont know till u have something to compare it to

ta
    rolf

tobe likes this.
  4. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I had the exact same for a client in WA. It's not fun, I feel for you.

I don't know the Newstead market but is it something you would buy again today? Will it get you where you want to go? Do some research, speak to PMs to see if there's any demand and make an informed decision rather than an off the cuff/emotional one.

5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Well hey, I wouldn't feel too bad - at least you had risk mitigation in place in case **it happened - and it did!!

Many have been and will be in the same situation, and DO NOT have the mitigation in place.

Bright side - if you are renting it out, then at least the yield should be ok? (or is there a monumental glut form that aspect as well....)

The Y-man

6. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

See a broker, get a few vals done. They won't all be the same.

7. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

More than half of that entire suburb is in the highest (worst) rated flood zone. Unit + bad flood zone is definitely not going to be helping.

8. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

I've had it happen a few times in Melbourne.

Thankfully it hasn't happened to any of my clients in Brisbane, Syd, Canberra....hopefully it stays that way.

With the Melb purchases - we ordered a couple of extra valuations with different lenders. A different valuer often provides a different result. Get your broker to sort out the vals for you.

Cheers

Jamie

9. Lawrence Barnes

Lawrence Barnes Well-Known Member

I'm afraid you made the classic mistake than many make buying off the plan.Yes the Brisbane market is bad at the moment and certain area's have an over supply of units. This will get better in the future and will be absorbed, hard to say how many years though.If you have the money to make up the shortfall you may just have to pay it and ride it out. It's an expensive mistake but it could have been far worse like if you purchased in a mining town for example. Learn from this mistake and move on as best you can.

pwnitat0r and qak like this.
  10. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Hopefully its an aberration due to supply concerns and banks seeking lighter vals at present for some regions. I dont think anyone has seen signs of a sales frenzy. Just soft due to supply. And everyone refers to "pockets"

11. krazibone

krazibone New Member

Thank you for the responses I've engaged with the broker requesting for a few more valuations to be done and they've advised that the building manager is only limiting the number of permitted valuations to two leaders due to other owners in the building needing to perform there valuations as well. Is this normal practice?

12. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

This comment really worries me to be honest. I don't think it's possible for them to restrict you. But I think the building owner is concerned everybody won't get funding which may lead to failed settlements and distressed sales.

qak likes this.
  13. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Um nah.

if they seller will make up the shortfall at settlement then sure

What a silly concept, id be getting my lawyer on to them ASAP

ta
    rolf

Jess Peletier and qak like this.
  14. qak

qak Well-Known Member

That worries me more too. Is there any such limitation under the in the contract? Sounds like *lots* of people are having concerns.

15. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

It sounds more like the developer wants you to use valuers they know will value up. There are limited lenders that still let you choose the valuer these days however.

16. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia

If thats the case, Id be finding out which valuers are on the money ( or at least not 60K under) and trying to work towards getting a loan from a lender who uses that valuer firm. Ask the agent which valuers are getting closer to the money than 60K

17. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

Almost everyone uses valex or similar systems these days @euro73

I was in exactly the same spot earlier this year, tried upfront vals with 5 lenders and didn't 'land' the valuation company the developer recommended.
    One of the mortgage managers let me pick the valuer with one of their non bank funders. Not a pretty rate, but the client settled without having to tip in much more cash. The val was still short but manageable.

18. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

I would personally get that response in writing and order a number of Val's anyway. The broker ordering them will get the response from the building manger as the valuer will need to contact them for access.

Then I would engage a lawyer to see if their are any grounds to walk away from the contract. It's likely not but what have you got to lose. You either order the Val's and get something decent or you can't get any Val's and then may have a get out.

19. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia

I know @tobe, but there are ways to do it . Quite easily in fact

Not my first rodeo. :)

20. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

Enlighten me. I'm stuck in the stirrups.

I tried re ordering them, diferent names etc, kept giving me the same val company. They either have me pegged as a serial val orderer or they have tightened the system.