Low Rise Housing Diversity Code - Ryde Council changing LEP (Local Environmental Plan

Discussion in 'Development' started by s1833, 6th Jul, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. s1833

s1833 New Member

Hi All,

Since 1st July 2020, attached dual occupancies are permitted on lots with a minimum area of 580 square metres and with a minimum width of 15 metres at the building line in the Ryde Council areas.

Initially I was thinking about saving enough money and after 5 years, I could build a duplex and live on one side and rent /sale the other side to reduce my mortgage. However, in order to overwrite the Low Rise Housing Diversity Code, the Ryde council is planning to change its LEP to only allow dual occupancies to be built on a 750m2 lot size (my house only has 600m2) and minimum 12-metre lot frontage.

The proposal is currently at Pre-Exhibition stage but the council is planning to place the draft LEP on public exhibition in late July/August.
    LEPs Online- Proposal Details

Do you reckon the amendment to the LEP will passed? I am not that familiar with the process of changing the LEP.

So assuming that the LEP will be amended and so what should I do if I still want to make sure that I can build a duplex in 5 year's time? The Ryde council states that if I could get the CDC approval before the commencement of the new LEP, I could still build a duplex because CDC last for 5 years. However, the issue is if I started to build a duplex and finished after 5 years from the CDC approval, would I still able to apply for subdivision (Torrens or Strata) ? Could I apply for subdivision first through CDC before starting to build the duplex?

Thank you in advance.

2. MK101

MK101 Well-Known Member

Sorry I don't have any specific knowledge as I'm just trying to understand the code better myself, but wouldn't their change mean that they couldnt have dual occs on anything under 750m2 anywhere? Surely that's shooting themselves in the foot for general development?

3. Gus Fares

Gus Fares New Member

Hello;
    Apparently; you can do a Manor Home (3-4 units) under the SEPP or a Duplex now; the council will change that early 2021; so I recomend you do the plans now and get them approved and you can build after 5 years.

cheers
    Gus Fares (architect)

4. Elise

Elise New Member

Hi Gus,

I read this in the NSW low rise housing code, but I don’t understand clearly. Could you or someone please explain for me what I can’t do if I want to do detached (attached) dual occupancy.
    “ 3B.2 Development that is not complying development under this code
    (a) the erection or alteration of, or an addition to, a roof terrace on the top most roof of a building,

(f) the alteration of, or an addition to, a garage or carport that is located forward of the building line,

Thanks!

Attached Files: