Low fixed rates vs long IO period

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Tattler, 9th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

I am currently doing refinancing to ANZ from CBA to reset my 30 year loan period, as well as getting better rates. I have been offered with SVR or fixed options:

OO P&I (around $420K): 2.19% fixed for 2 years, or 2.64% SVR

Investment IO (around $1.66M): 2.69% fixed for 2 years, but revert to P&I after end of fixed period (ANZ!), or 10 year IO period at 3.2% SVR.

Which one would you choose?

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Neither :)

If I could I would do it with CBA or WBC, IO roll goes back to remaining IO period, and you can volunteer to switch to PI for a couple of years and still retain your remaing unused IO period............at a time when you may personally want or need it

In these times of flux, options are good to have

Loans aint loans

ta
    rolf

hieund85 and Ardi like this.
  3. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

Thanks for that @Rolf Latham.

My challenge is that I only have another 15 months of IO period (originally 5 years) with CBA before all my loans becomes P&I. Is it even possible to refinance with CBA with new fresh 30 year loan term as well as IO reset? So really the fixed rate I can do is 1 year and then come back with 3 months of IO left unless I apply another 5 year extension with CBA. How, easy is it to get another 5 year IO with CBA?

Also according to my broker, WBC interest rate was not competitive compared to ANZ and NAB, as well as tighter service calculator. I am looking to pull as much equity as possible now before the expected lower valuation of houses. Hence the refinancing.

4. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

I assume your servicing is ok, the valuations stack up to sub 80

You opportunity to your challenge is that CBA will likely do another 5 + 5 + 20

But its a full new app and you may as well look at getting more suitable options for u

WBC rates are ok, but are very slow at the moment.

NAB is YUK..............I believe, same issue as ANZ fix IO for 2 years roll to

Another option could be with CBA if you have IO for only 5 years. They would likley extend the IO period to allow a 2 or 3 year switch., BUT we dont like doing that because of the 23 yr PI repayment shock :(

ta
    rolf