Travel & Holidays Los Angeles where to stay

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Coastal, 27th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Coastal

Coastal Well-Known Member

Hi

For the forumites who have been to la, where would you recommend to stay? I'll be there for 5 nights in August.

Jeez USA is exxy when it comes to hotel prices.

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I just came back from LA and I was at the Coral Sands Motel just off Hollywood Boulevard - quite reasonable prices and decent amenities for the price.

3. Coastal

Hi

Is Hollywood a safe place to stay I hear it is seedy ish

Are decent places to eat in the area

4. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Heard East LA is OK at night

5. jordy

jordy Active Member

Just came back from a 6 week usa honeymoon. We stayed at andaz west hollywood on sunset blvd. great hotel and very close to everything.

6. Player

Player Well-Known Member

We were there this time last year. We spent a week in West Hollywood and used that as a base for our activites. Groovy place. Cool eclectic and a little grungy. Not as flamboyant as Beverly Hills and not as seedy as central Hollywood can get at night. Fantastic food. Depends on what activites you want to do thet. Get a 24 or 48 hour pass on the hop on hop off bus. It goes to many places from Hollywood and downtown LA to Santa Monica and Venice, etc.

7. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Check out Airbnb.

8. Coastal

I have booked a place at westwood - UCLA suburb. It looks to be a nice area with lots of options to eat. It is next to Bev Hills and between Santa Monica and hollywood. 15 mins from Santa Monica and 40 - 60 mins to Hollywood by bus. I wanted somewhere safe to walk around at night, mostly to and from hotel,

I am thinking about cancelling and booking a place in Hollywood due to travel times. Hollywood I heard it is seedyish and hotels are either grungy but still exxy to really expensive. There is not much choice

Player was the hop on and hop off bus good to see the sights? I have 3 days of sight seeing and the other 2 days will be at Universal Studios and Disney land so 5 days all up.

9. Player

Player Well-Known Member

Coastal, sounds like 48 hours will be ideal for you. Google hop on hop off bus Los Angeles and you'll see the different routes it takes. It's colour coded and no matter where you get in it has gps driven audio narration with instructions on where to look for the relevant sights and landmarks with interesting commentary. Make sure you do Chinese Theatre at Hollywood which is quite safe during the day. Do not accept any free CD's offered to you there or at Venice beach. Worth visiting The Grove at West Hollywood for a meal or shopping. Markets are ok. Discount shopping outlets are quite far out; near Disneyland which my 13 year old daughter was underwhelmed by. Universal studios is fantastic. Enjoy your trip :)

10. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

11. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Hey jesse...you talking about my barrio??

12. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

Datto, you're happy to couch surf at Cheech and Chong's.

13. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Especially if yo is white, Holmes.:)

14. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Westwood is a nice suburb. Will be a bit longer by bus to Santa Monica, a bit less to Hollywood, especially the nicer areas in West Hollywood like the Grove/Farmers Market.
    I reckon you will get sick of Hollywood Boulevard in a day.
    Make sure to hire a car and drive up Laurel Canyon to the Hollywood Hills, Mulholland Drive. Up the coast past Malibu to Point Dume is pretty good on a nice day.

15. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

16. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

We lived 5 mins walk from The Grove. good spot (a place called "The Villas at Park La Brea")

Also; visit the La Brea tar pits - they are still excavating dinosaur bones, and tar still bubbles up through the ground. You can walk to it from The Grove.

Another must do; walk to the top of Mt.Hollywood (the hill with the Observatory on it). On a clear day; an excellent 360 degree view of L.A.

Also do The Getty Centre.

I wouldn't bother with Hollywood Blvd; spend an hour or so there and bugger off.

legallyblonde and Azazel like this.
  17. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="
    I wouldn't bother with Hollywood Blvd; spend an hour or so there and bugger off.[/QUOTE]

Agree. LA was the worst part of our East to West Coast part of our trip (exception being the studio tours and them parks).

Much pretty towns as you leave to drive to San Fran.

18. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Nice, gated community! I had a friend who lived at Park La Brea years ago. Awesome spot. Did you ever go to the Gumbo Pot at the markets? And you would know Frank's Mexican on Fairfax surely?

19. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

We stayed at Santa Monica instead of central LA- beachy, warm and much nicer feel. Easy to hire a car and drive around- just STAY TO THE RIGHT LOL :D

legallyblonde likes this.
  20. datto

datto Well-Known Member

As long as Sister Mary Elephant doesn't yell "shut up"