Loose-fill asbestos insulation testing

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Mypropertyopinion, 26th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mypropertyopinion

Mypropertyopinion Member

Hi everyone,

I recently received a letter in the mail from the NSW government on their offer to carry out free sample testing on one of mine IPs that was built pre-1980 for loose fill asbestos insulation.

My questions are:
    1. Do you recommend that I take the free sample test? In your view what are the pros and cons?
    2. In the unlikely event that the test show a positive result to loose asbestos, what are the associated costs and time frames for me to fix the issue? I assume that the tenant will also be required to vacate the premises when the matter is being fixed?
    3. Does anyone have any further information regarding this and/or timeframes around potential new rules and regulations the government might pose on this matter in the future?
    4. What is the estimated cost of conducting the test and obtaining the report if I opt to carry out the testing post 1/8/2016.

Here is the link regarding this matter
    Loose fill asbestos insulation - NSW Fair Trading

Any help or insights would be much appreciated!

2. Nem

Nem Well-Known Member

Following the post, I received the same letter!

3. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Just had this done on one of my NSW properties...no Loosefill detected.....they are offering it free on areas where Loose fill has been detected. If you don't take it up and when you go to sell it is found it has some there...they it is your responsisbility.

The test is paid for by the NSW Govt.

4. Nem

Nem Well-Known Member

Thanks Sash, but what if Loosefill is detected??
    Letter says if detected owners will have the option to either sell their land and premises or premises only to the Government?!

5. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Apparently you can sell it to them or they demolish....the question is how much they will pay for the house?? I don't know anyone this has happened to......

6. drg86

drg86 Well-Known Member

7. drg86

drg86 Well-Known Member

There is no "fixing it" if you have a positive result the house gets demolished and you may keep the land if you chose that option. So your tenants move out until a new house is built...

8. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Read the website, it gives an outline of options, how this actually transpires or proceeds, who knows.

They seem to send the letter to every home in possible effected areas.

9. Mypropertyopinion

Mypropertyopinion Member