Loose fibre cement sheeting found in sub-floors

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by AntW, 10th Nov, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. AntW

AntW Well-Known Member

Hi all, we're doing a routine check for our property (older build ~60s) and we found the sub-floor ventilation is very poor and improvements are needed - also there was loose fibre sheeting found in the sub-floor area as well. My wife is freaking out due to the perceived asbestos being released - is this of concern? we don't want to be living in a place where asbestos is seeping through!

how much would it be to remove this ?

image from the inspector is below Capture.JPG

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It's bonded asbestos not a liquid. Fibre is contained in a cement matrix. It does not seep. It only becomes airborne when you snap or cut a piece.

Engage a licensed asbestos removal contractor to take it from under the house and dispose at a registered tip.

The Y-man and wylie like this.
  3. AntW

AntW Well-Known Member

Thanks for that ! although wouldn't it have already snapped off to form the disjointed pieces? does this mean the asbestos particles are already in the air ?

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Any fibres will not be in the air but in the soil. Make sure that is removed as well by the contractor.

Firefly99 and The Y-man like this.
  5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

To be honest, it is really common to have bits of fibro under and around older houses.

I assume you are going to add metal vents to let air into the subfloor? I would:
    1. Get a piece tested to see if it is asbestos.

2. If it is asbestos, get it removed. In Victoria it is perfectly acceptable to DIY remove it (follow safety precautions such as a P2 mask, spray with water before moving, never ever vacuum or sweep, wrap in two layers of heavy plastic and label clearly as asbestos etc).

Whether you or a contractor do it, check it will be sent to a facility that takes asbestos.

3. If the subfloor is enclosed, you could just have the bits that can be seen visibly removed.

If you want the earth underneath removed too, for piece of mind, then go ahead - but any fibers may be long gone. Especially if it was left before the internal floor was added.

But sometimes it feels better just to be sure.

I have had lots of bits of asbestos at my place. Still sometimes find the odd bit when digging in the garden.

I was really freaked out at first, too.

The Y-man likes this.