Loose change savings app.

Discussion in 'Money Management & Banking' started by Dylan33, 23rd Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Dylan33

Dylan33 Well-Known Member

i saw a report on some Tv show the other night about an app that is linked to a savings account. The idea is you pay with your credit card and the rounding up amount to the next dollar is automatically transferred to a savings account. You don't miss the small change which is gone to an account you open at your bank. Thought it was a great idea for an account starter for kids or grandkids. Did anyone see it?
    Can anyone help me out with the name of the TV show or the name of the app?

shimmy likes this.
  2. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

3. Dylan33

That's the one. Thought it was into a savings account though. I'll still check it out.
    Thanks coota9

4. Dylan33

shimmy likes this.
  5. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Thanks Dylan and Coota! Downloading now. Over the past couple of months I had put money into (and then out of) a share trading account twice... I hadn't had the guts to pull the trigger to actually commit to buy any shares.

shimmy likes this.
  6. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Go on. A bit of research / knowledge combined with patience and discipline and you'll do fine.

I'm achieving a return of 12.6% across my portfolio of 19 investments ( individual stocks and some ETFs ). I started doing trades @ $2.5k but have more recently been doing $5k and $10k trades. Have not sold anything yet. Might take profits from one stock soon ( not a keeper ).

EN710 and shimmy like this.
  7. shimmy

shimmy Well-Known Member

I'm feeling quite the risk taker having just installed the Acorns app and set up my portfolio and recurring amounts :cool: ... micro investing here I come! I'd never heard about it until I read this thread so thanks everyone!... seems like just the ticket for a first time share investor:)

Marg4000 likes this.
  8. JenW

JenW Well-Known Member

Oooh, I love this kind of thing! Great thread Dylan33 :D

9. markson

markson Well-Known Member

I pay everything on my CBA credit card. Would this work or does it have to a savings account?

10. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I think that's the idea of it... it works with Amex too... but if someone knows better, please feel free to correct me.

11. shimmy

shimmy Well-Known Member

For topping up spending transactions, I have linked it to my credit card account but they don't take the top up cents from your cc account but from another linked savings account that can't have borrowed funds in it. You are able to link as many spending accts to top up with as you like.

ps - including transaction accts... you are also able to set a recurring deposit of funds eg I set up for now, $5 a week to go into it.

markson likes this.
  12. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Great idea

13. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Great idea.

14. r3ckless

r3ckless Well-Known Member

signed up. went to set it all up. and now stopped as it has asked me for a particular banks username and password details. Am I getting old all of a sudden? I feel like I should look into this more as I am a bit worried of the security issue of data...

15. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

mikey7 likes this.
  16. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

This works for me.
    bucket.jpg
    I still pay cash for my coffee and periodically empty the silver into the bucket. Then take it to the bank and transfer the funds to an investment account.

Perthguy likes this.
  17. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

We use an M&Ms bucket. All loose change goes into it, and we put it into our daughters savings account (along with $25/fn automatically). Started a year ago and she's got a good $1k now. Not bad for a 1yo. Bankwest offers 4.75% interest for kids.

Will have to explore ways to better invest for her. Certainly not thru Acorn tho.

Perthguy likes this.

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.