Looking to start an ETF/LIC Portfolio.

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Chris1992, 15th Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Chris1992

Chris1992 Active Member

Hi all. Just doing a bit of research (feel free to critique) I've decided to create a portfolio of ETFS/LICS with a 70/30 split of International/Australian. Because of the new recently domiciled Ishares ETFS I have decided to allocate as follows:

Australian

20% Argo/mlt or vas if NTA for lics at premium
    10% Mid cap aus (either qve,mir)

International
    10% Smallcap U.S: IJR or IJH
    10% either VAE or IAA (Asian exposure)
    50% Either VGS or IVV.

Just had a few questions if anyone knows the answer to these would be great. Also if you have any feedback in regards to allocation % or the lics/etfs chosen please let me know.
    1. Should I even bother having a U.S midcap/smallcap at 10% or should I just skip and put right into IVV or VGS?
    2. Although it seems the fees on this would be lower than just going VDHG is VDHG the better option for auto rebalance/easier admin on 1 etf and not 5.

Thank you.

2. Lancel_Bracken

Lancel_Bracken Member

I have a similar split:

50% VGS
    20% VAS/lics
    10% VAE
    10% IJR
    10% VVLU

You can easily rebalance using inflows, so you dont really pay more in brokerage vs vdhg.

I like it because they are all au domicile so tax is easier. Total cost is 0.19%.... less if u skip VVLU. If there was a low cost world ex us product au domicile product i would have prolly gone IVV and then a ex us fund.

Imo its worth keeping IJR as US small caps have a long history of giving a return premium over large caps (but with higher volatility/bigger drawdown in crashes)

When a global/ex us small cap etfproduct becomes available (like vanguard international small companies fund) i plan to trim 10% from VGS and add that.

I like vae over vge because of slightly lower fee and it includes korea which is frustratingly absent from VGS. The downside is it has a lot less companies than VGE and skips some countries like brazil, russia etc

Psyk, KayTea, Hodor and 1 other person like this.
  3. Chris1992

Chris1992 Active Member

Thanks for the feedback I feel a little more confident in my approach now cheers!

4. therealAusting

therealAusting Well-Known Member

Are any of these an Australian domicile pure S&P500(US) index.

5. Chris1992

Chris1992 Active Member

Hi yes. Only recently was IVV and IJR added as Australian domiciled U.S based ETFS. Low fees of 0.07 mer too.

6. Anthony Brew

Anthony Brew Well-Known Member

Just a quick note

VGS is all developed world
    IVV is just the US (ie about half of VGS) and you may want to split between IVV and IVE if not going with VGS unless you specifically intended to leave out the rest of the developed world.

If Vanguard one day finally releases their developed world small caps fund as an ETF, which is already half US small caps, why would you take out 10% from your VGS allocation to put into it instead of switch from IJR to that?

7. Chris1992

Chris1992 Active Member

8. Lancel_Bracken

Lancel_Bracken Member

Thats a good point. Yes probably would end up with VGS and globalsmallcaps combo instead of all three

What i would really like is aussie etfs to achieve a Paul Merriman style combo of US large, US small, world ex US large, world ex US small, and value oriented versions of each. Our etf market is so behind...

9. Chris1992

Chris1992 Active Member

Okay so decided I might skip the whole midcap in AUS as the returns seem on par with the bigger lics like ARG/MLT unless I choose to pay a premium and higher fees like for WAM. So ARG IVV IJR VAE seem like easier to rebalance with only 4.

10. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

I'm a 'set and forget' type. Mine is very simple.

I have VDGH - 50% (has all those other ETFs you wanted, but it does all the re-balancing for you and less fees)
    ARGO -50%, as it has a better dividend yield than the ETF.

I keep re-buying these every 6 months.

KayTea, Pier1 and therealAusting like this.
  11. therealAusting

therealAusting Well-Known Member

Hi Shazz@

I like your style.

Could you give us simpletons a break down on how VDGH is working for you.

12. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Just to add to the thought process

Busting the Myth About Size

Many market participants (including investors, product providers, and analysts alike) assume that, just as value stocks on average outperform growth, small-cap stocks on average outperform large-caps. Unlike value, however, and contrary to popular opinion, there is little solid evidence that stock size affects performance.

A recent Research Affiliates article by Hsu and Kalesnik (2014) concluded that there are at best three factors from which investors can benefit through passive investing: market, value, and low beta. The size premium was conspicuously missing from that short list. In this article we explore empirical evidence behind the size premium in more detail. The summary below offers a preview of our findings. We let the reader examine the evidence and draw his or her own conclusion. In our opinion the preponderance of evidence does not support the existence of a size premium.

13. Danieljk101

Danieljk101 Well-Known Member

No ones concerned with the up coming Stockmarket crash? I hear it’s going to make 2008 look like nothing...

barduck likes this.
  14. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Not much history as very different asset allocation to the previous diversified funds.

The vanguard diversified funds have been discussed a number of times but for what it’s worth here’s my thoughts earlier on:

Vanguard

In regard to AMIT which has been discussed at times it seems to have help with the capital gains being more fairly treated but in the process created a bit of a record keeping headache?

Overall though if behavioural issues are a concern and simplicity is very important then there’s a lot of positives.

Last edited: 17th Sep, 2018
    therealAusting and Shazz@ like this.
  15. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Don’t worry that’s just me spreading rumours in the hope of picking up some bargains:).

barduck and KayTea like this.
  16. Danieljk101

Danieljk101 Well-Known Member

Possibly, but the problems of 2008 weren’t fixed, they were made worse by borrowing and throwing cheap money at it.

Not to mention the 10 year bull run to immediately follow it.

barduck likes this.
  17. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

And yet price wise the ASX has still not reached it’s GFC high:

BBBABADE-6EC9-4706-BE5D-02AC2947BDE9.jpeg

What can you do though? Go to cash, keep waiting on the sidelines or just keep investing month after month, year after year knowing that sometimes shares are a bargain and other times they’re not.

Each needs to decide for thrmselves but I’ve never sold in expectation of a crash but I did make sure I had a LOC(s) in place to take advantage of these rare opportunities.

miximitosis, sharon, Pier1 and 4 others like this.
  18. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

I hope so. Do you know the date is begins and where the bottom will be?

qak, KayTea, sharon and 3 others like this.
  19. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

I'd like to subscribe to this newsletter.

20. pippen

pippen Well-Known Member

Having a quick search on ebay and gumtree for a crystal ball! No luck as yet!

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia