Looking to invest Brisbane

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by MrKen1410, 4th Nov, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MrKen1410

MrKen1410 Member

Hi I’m looking to invest in my first IP in Brisbane , only looking to invest around 300-350k, can anyone suggest a suburb with good growth potential and good property manager?

thanks

2. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

If you're buying a house you'll be limited to Moreton Bay, Logan or Ipswich.

If you buy in Logan or Ipswich let me know I can recommend a great property manager!

Firefly99 and Tom Rivera like this.
  3. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Welcome to PC.

Why that budget range pls ?

ta
    rolf

4. MrKen1410

MrKen1410 Member

Hi, yes I was looking around Logan but there seem to be so many good and bad area within Logan so I’m not sure which one is better, and also was looking at bellbird park/ red bank plains area.

5. MrKen1410

MrKen1410 Member

looking at that budget because I didn’t want to go through finance and that is what we have available upfront. Also cause first property I didn’t wanna invest too much.

6. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Buying property with cash is borderline stupid unless it's only a small % of your assets.
    It's locked up, you cant get at it, and returns on ungeared property aren't very attractive.

Codie likes this.
  7. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

I agree but in some situations it makes sense.

I've spent the last 15 years rentvesting, I fully maxed out my serviceability in 2015 just before APRA rules changed, and I've spent the last 5 years saving up to make one final purchase (my PPOR). I've already got as much leverage as I can get and PPOR isn't tax deductible so I figure, tactically speaking, this isn't a bad move.

8. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

You're going to be limited to areas in Logan or around Deception Bay in the areas I would be looking at with that budget. If you have that much cash, lending rules are about to relax a little - have you assessed whether you can buy 2 recently?

I can recommend a good property manager up to the north if you end up that way.

- Andrew

9. MrKen1410

MrKen1410 Member

i hear about the positive and negative gear a lot but am new so don’t have much knowledge, can you let me know more about what’s the benefit if I don’t pay it all upfront?

10. MrKen1410

MrKen1410 Member

yeah most likely was thinking Logan, can u suggest which is a good area in Logan

11. Trainee

Is this just because you don't like debt?

12. MrKen1410

MrKen1410 Member

yeah somewhat yes I don’t prefer debt, but if it helps with investing to have bank loan for deductions or other benefits I guess I won’t mind

13. Trainee

Do you own your own home?

14. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

I think you need to understand the basic concept of how leverage works before you even think about the tax implications of it all. If you had 10k, how much would you need the asset to appreciate for you to make another 10k (doubling your money)? 100%. How hard would it be to find an investment that would double? If you think about the risk / reward trade off, it's probably on the riskier side of the equation, right?

Now if you used that 10k to borrow another 90k for a 100k investment, how much does that investment need to go up for you to make the same 10k? 10%. And that also allows you to purchase a much safer asset because you don't need to be hunting down something that will double your money...again, think about risk vs. reward.

HOWEVER, if you don't want any leverage at all, you would still be advised to get a loan. Here's what you do, if you have 300k in cash, you get a loan for 300k. Get an offset account, slap all your money into the offset. How much interest do you need to pay? $0. However you now have 300k ready to go in case you ever need it.

Hope that helps.

Firefly99 and craigc like this.
  15. Trainee

On the other hand, if you use 10k and borrow 90k for a 100k investment, how much does that investment need to go down to lose your whole 10k? 10%. Leverage magnifies both gains and losses. Usually people buy property with a long term expectation of growth.

16. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Logan would be good, and good zoning would be a good idea :). Good luck!!

17. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

I agree, get a loan and whack the savings in offset. Having said that I'd be more focused on finding the best deal possible where there is built in equity available i.e. buy very well and if required do a small makeover to add value. Do that with each purchase and you build wealth quickly.

Propin likes this.
  18. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Simple liquidity cash risk management response vs emotional reactions.

For some the emotional bit is more important than the real risk, but thats ok too.

SANF is very important

ta
    rolf

19. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

I like Meadowbrook and the upper areas of Logan, but I don't think either will fit your budget.

Personally, I would engaging a local Buyer's Agent like @My House QLD to help if I were you. For a relatively small percentage of the purchase price you will get a better outcome and lower your overall risk and won't have to do most of the work. Particularly given you're buying with cash anyway, it won't be a big imposition.

Don't think about what it's going to cost you up front if you pay a BA, think about what it will cost you in the long term if you don't. Unless you're buying property all the time, the chances are the fee will be negotiated out of the price better than the average buyer can do themselves anyway.

I've used BAs all over the country in markets I either wasn't familiar with or didn't have the time or ability at that time to research.

- Andrew

20. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

If in the south or west of Brisbane @Tom Rivera can look after you for PM services!

Tom Rivera likes this.