VIC Looking for suggestions around good suburbs in Mel West

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Tom0808, 10th Dec, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Tom0808

Tom0808 Member

Hi Experts,

I bought a new property a couple of years back in Tarneit where I am living now, it has appreciated reasonably and with the appreciated capital plus my savings, I would like to buy another property with a budget around 650K where I would like to move and rent this house in Tarneit.

I am looking for an old property in these regions with a land size over 600m2(with a potential for subdivision in future) -

· Taylors Lakes

· Keilor Downs

· Burnside/Burnside Heights

· Taylors Hill

· Hillside

· Sydenham

· Caroline Springs

The reason I have chosen these suburbs is because of their proximity to the city, availability of public transport options, decent infrastructure, and affordability. I am open to any new areas if someone can suggest me any better options.

What I am looking for – close to public transport, schools, family-oriented community. I plan to live here long term with an intention of capital growth.

Please help me decide which among these suburbs should be my choice in order of preference and why.

Regards
    Tom

2. MikeyBallarat

MikeyBallarat Well-Known Member

Out of these, Taylors Lakes and Keilor Downs would be my pick - just make sure to look in the area that is zoned to Keilor Downs College rather than Taylors Lakes SC (and it doesn’t just correspond to the suburbs that bear the school’s name)

lettert and Tom0808 like this.
  3. Tom0808

Tom0808 Member

thank you Mikey!

4. Samoz

Samoz Active Member

check out Diggers Rest. One of the top primary schools, close to public transport, upcoming shopping centre and that's enough for recipe for growth given the prices there are still very low.

5. ELYAS

ELYAS Member

We bought our house in Hillside in 2012 for $460K. Today it's bank valued at $750K so it's done OK. You can still pick up property closer to $500K, but they're deeper into the suburb. Rentals in the area are OK too, yielding around 4.3%, in our specific pocket.
    Stick to the pocket between Melton Highway and the Calder Freeway, off-of and as close to Calder Park Drive as you can.
    We're a stones throw away from Watergardens shopping centre and train station, basically on the freeway (25 minutes into the CBD) and enough built up around it to not over dilute whilst still plenty of development to go up in Plumpton/Diggers Rest to drive up desirability of more accessible spots like Hillside.
    As a PPOR, it's a fantastic little spot that meets all of your criteria and is much more affordable than Keilor, and even though it's further out than Keilor Downs, it's proximity to freeway and less traffic means it's more accessible, same goes for Burnside Heights and Caroline Springs, which force the use of the Ring Road rather than the Calder/Tulla and have no train.

Good Luck!
    Elyas

6. tedjamvor

tedjamvor Well-Known Member

Any reason you haven’t considered Lara? Lots of 80s stock on bigger blocks, 35min train into City.

7. Tom0808

Tom0808 Member

Thank you Samoz. We initially thought of investing there and renting the place which would have been a good option. However, as we are looking for PPOR I think the areas I mentioned above score better overall.

8. Tom0808

Tom0808 Member

Thank you so much Elyas.

ELYAS likes this.
  9. Tom0808

Tom0808 Member

Thanks mate. I have no idea about Lara, on the map it seems close to Geelong. I am considering suburbs which are within 25 kms from Melbourne city.

10. tedjamvor

tedjamvor Well-Known Member

That's fair. Its sort of half Melbourne, half Geelong. The VLine just means the trip into Melbourne isnt that long

11. ross100

ross100 Well-Known Member

650K will be a tight squeeze for most suburbs above except Sydneham and caroline springs i think.

12. Tom0808

Tom0808 Member

thanks Ross. What would be a reasonable figure then?

13. ross100

ross100 Well-Known Member

700k above

14. Tom0808

Tom0808 Member

15. TangibleGoodwill

TangibleGoodwill Well-Known Member

Do you own a helicopter?

You’ll need it to get out on a school morning.

Absolutely frustrating the amount of traffic, especially Caroline Springs/Taylors Hill.