Looking for some urgent advice

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Yash, 22nd Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

I think it's worth changing the locks and trying to see if you can claim it from insurance. I've been able to claim locks previously if all keys weren't returned, but this is normally in the case of a warrant of possession being issued. In any case, it's better spending the $$ and having some confidence that the house will (should) be more secured.

Agent should be arranging the window, not waiting around for the tenant to do anything. You've got 10 business days to claim on the bond, so they need to get it all together quickly so you can apply to VCAT - if the tenant pays and/or makes good in the meantime they can always withdraw the hearing.

As Xenia pointed out, doesn't matter who has paid what rent - just the total amount that's been paid. Sounds like they've paid enough to bring it under the bond, with any luck once everything is tallied up it won't be above the bond and therefore no insurance claim.

Tom Rivera, Perthguy and JacM like this.
  2. Yash

Yash Active Member

This is my first ever tenant and my first experience as a landlord so i am not sure what everyone does.

You are right any tenant can copy the keys.

3. Yash

Yash Active Member

Makes sense. PM is getting few quotes around the damages.

hmmmm that would be good. PM is inspecting the property today to review any damages inside the house. If there are any, I will have to go the insurance way.

4. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Isn't there still an issue of whether possession has been given back to the LL/REA?

That doesn't seem clear.

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Recap for this weeks episode - Housos invaded the Sunnyvale property and nobody is paying rent. All the ones who were staying over / sharing bongs had a bustup over their gear and wife got shanked. One of her many partners abused her by phone when she didnt give him keys to the stash on a number nobody had and he left her when the drugs dried up. Junkies came around and smashed windows and stole nothing cause they are housos. Someone called the ambulance it seems - Maybe cops when they got thonged while attending the scene

Issue is nobody can pay the rent or wants to.

I suspect a toxic cleanup. Locks??? Assumes the door isnt broken

upload_2017-11-22_16-11-49.jpeg

Tom Rivera likes this.
  6. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Hi Yash
    I would wait until you have vacant possession to do any insurance claims or quotes.

Also for insurance claim, arrears should be claimed from first day of arrears till a new tenant is sourced. That means property needs to be advertised now and new lease in place before that claim is lodged.

Insurance will cover locks if there is physical damage to locks.
    This does not mean you can’t get locks changed.

7. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Hmmm the toxic clean up is a real potential problem too. They need to get that tested for the presence of chemical residue.