Looking for RE Education

Discussion in 'Property Experts' started by Rosh Tosh, 15th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Rosh Tosh

Rosh Tosh Member

Hi all, my first post here :)

I'm really into RE investing and have a couple of properties up my sleeve. I would however like to learn more about it. I know I can google for information but I'm really looking into a comprehensive course with the pros to learn about undervalued properties, subdividing, renovating and other aspects. What experiences have you had?

I am looking into the below as options:

http://www.dymphnaboholt.com (Very well known)
    http://zadelpropertyeducation.com.au (Heard a lot of good things about this one)
    http://www.investoproperty.com.au
    http://www.trainingrealty.com (This one seems a little different. More like a home business too which seems interesting)

Any comments would be much appreciated.

RT

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I suggest you do none of those until you have read every post on this forum.

spludgey, thatbum, Phase2 and 2 others like this.
  3. Zoolander

Zoolander Well-Known Member

@Rosh Tosh theres a forum meetup in North Ryde tomorrow evening. Good chance to ask the basics from some of the seasoned property vets and professionals. Check out the Meetups section

Perthguy likes this.
  4. Rosh Tosh

Rosh Tosh Member

Well that could work but structured learning has its benefits. Plus you don't have to sift through what's solid and what's just fluff.

5. Rosh Tosh

Rosh Tosh Member

Thanks for that. I will check it out!

6. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I agree there are merits to sit down training sessions but choose wisely. Your first raises alarm bells! :eek:

Phase2 likes this.
  7. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Most of what you will be learning on those courses would be 'fluff'

wylie likes this.
  8. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

As Terry said - you still have to sift through solid vs fluff from most of these "education" providers.

#1 rule: follow the money - you need to understand the nature of the advice you're being given and if someone has a vested interest in encouraging you to buy a certain type of property or in a certain location, be very very careful (indeed, run a mile).

There are lots of spruikers masquerading as educators out there.

Beware anyone offering to educate you and help you buy property - make sure you're getting good fully independent advice (ie not advice from someone recommended by the person encouraging you to buy a specific property) before proceeding with any part of the transaction.

We see so many stories of heartache around here from people who have paid too much or bought in the wrong area because they didn't do enough due diligence or get independent advice.

Perthguy and willair like this.
  9. Rosh Tosh

Rosh Tosh Member

Yes, I know what you mean. I won't be rushing into it. A friend did some training with Zadel and thoght it was good. And I spoke to Leon from Training Realty which has an interesting business model of learning and earning at the same time. Still considering all my options.

10. Rosh Tosh

Rosh Tosh Member

Yep I know about those "educators" trying to recommend properties as a good sale. Definitely run fast from them. I already have some knowledge from reading books and having bought a couple of properties myself but there is much more to learn. :)

11. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

My only question is Why.

.If you have already 2 properties then all you would have to do is go back into the old site and read what happened to various people who invested with those high flyers who clumsily came into that site and sold people their idea's and the rest is history ..

12. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I think you already know a lot more than you think you do - and infinitely more than those people who never actually take action - well done.

At the end of the day - which ever path you choose, just come back here and ask heaps of questions - even if just to validate your thought processes. That will not only help you, but will help other people learn as well!

vip_leo and Jacque like this.
  13. Rosh Tosh

Rosh Tosh Member

Yes I will definitely read about other people's experiences with them. Forewarned is forearmed.

14. Rosh Tosh

Rosh Tosh Member

Thanks! I'm always looking for ways to learn more, including going through this forum.

Zoolander likes this.
  15. Graham Phillips

Graham Phillips Member

There are no seasoned property professional or very few left, those left will know it is time to sell up and not to buy into any property. Do you hear the sales people on the phone the ones that might call you, NEW tax breaks for families, ARE you working, DO you earn an income above. to see if you are QUALIFIED for what seasoned investors know has been in play for 80 years or more, do not be someones fool. It is unlikely you will source them by asking on any social media, do you really think they are going to just give up their time for you. The ones trying to make a quick sale will give up their time then you are on your own. Buying a home or 3 or 10 or 100 or however many homes you can buy is an emotional buy for many successful buyers take out the emotion. Trouble with that scenerio is everyone else is trying the same tact with supposed investors many interstate site unseen buyers thinking of financial returns only to discover to many houses built of a similiar design. The house prices might go up a lot after a couple of years, is that institutional buyers to intentionally and artifificially drive up prices for their sales of further development land and or spec homes they have invested into in the 100s or 1000s perhaps. The first piece of advice would be if you do not want to loose big financially or have a huge big financial stress then keep out and perhaps sell what you own but only if you are happy with a profit you could make. Secondly you could buy cheap, yes prices could lower a little or a lot in the next 3 years, wait till you think prices are the lowest you can get, many family people will buy into investment property and mortgage high only to find now or in the next 3 years their property values have fallen, that is when you buy, maybe only after a small upswing from the lowest prices. It used to be a rule 10 to 20 percent lower you could offer on the price to see if you could buy cheap. I think now it will be 40 percent maybe lower, who knows just how low the numbers could go. Most certainly if you buy into a new estate the prices might go up followed by the prices going way down, if you want to get the profit after a few years you need to find a buyer beware of that and your house if a stock design will probably be the same as many others competing for a sale.

16. bob shovel

Hi Graham,

First time here... welcome :D

How is your portfolio looking?.... Does one exist? Or have you been burnt by property in the past and just here for a rant?

Ko Ko Naing and Zoolander like this.
  17. Graham Phillips

Graham Phillips Member

I own lots of property and have been for about 30 years. I have sat down with my wife and explained the coming property downturn which is not going to be good news for many. I am in tune with what is going on. You can buy your own home but I would not recommend any more than that, I see the online auction listings people that have brought on supposed good advice some years ago. If they were able to sell they would have 6 figure losses on the buy price, that is now what about the decline is in full swing. Confidence builds confidence and there are a lot of people encouraged by the big gains they could make. The younger generatio
    I have just been steadily buying into property. Just starting out buying what I can. Then buying to developments. It always looks good to buy into property an illusion though. You can buy property if you get the cycle right and make 100 percent overnight or a year say. That is probably at its best the remaining 95 percent of the time you would be just hopeful at best and worst a natural disaster or damage. I would love to have the years back maybe from when I owned my first home but while having the information that I have now. I am still doing ok. I know how much desire there is for the young to climb the property ladder, now is not the best time in my opinion. I know every smart way known how to do things financially in your favour. I would not recommend a sale horizon under 10 years maybe or if you trade houses ie pay cash today type buyer you can buy cheap but you need to know who or how long and what your sale price will be. Ecconomies are going bad across the world, I think you would need to be very naive to believe it could not very easily happen here.

18. bob shovel

Have you made 95% in 1 year on all your properties or just most?
    How's this cycle shaping up for you? Looks like time to buy imo then hills sell and reno. Future looks bright

19. Graham Phillips

Graham Phillips Member

People get all excited about buying because well it is exciting lets get that perspective right. We all want to get in before the values go up. Some say there is never a wrong time, that held for a long time. I would think save money whatever is possible, do not go to property seminars, read a lot and after 2020 work out when the best time is to buy. I do not think you will have missed the cycle by then.

spludgey likes this.
  20. bob shovel

So 2020 is when it starts. I'll mark my calendar
    What about negative gearing deals to flip and maybe a granny flat if there's room? Good strategy?