ASX Shares Looking for list of AU based lithium miners with US mines at different stages

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by d3outguncom, 19th Aug, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. d3outguncom

d3outguncom Well-Known Member

With US climate bill through and support for replacing Chinese/Russian supply to be self-reliant, looking for a list of AU based miners with exploration/tenement/extraction in US.

Could look for them individually, was wondering if anyone had a list so I could begin research.

Am already holding AZL and some others, looking to expand towards nearer production than exploratory (e.g JRL)

Thanks in advance.

2. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

Have you considered what happens when Trump/Trump acolyte wins in 2024?

3. marty998

marty998 Well-Known Member

Argosy Minerals (AGY)* is an AU company with an asset (Rincon) *this* close to production in Argentina, and tenements being drilled in the US (Tonopah) which is near Albermarle's Silver Peak mine.

Seems to be unfairly discounted compared to the more "exciting" peers that are mostly spin and no substance, largely because they haven't wasted money defining a resource** they don't have the capital to develop.

Instead, AGY drilled enough to define an economic resource, built the pilot plant, and now the production plant and are getting on with it.

*Will disclose I own a small parcel of these. Rode them down from 14c to 2c and up to 56c and now back to wherever they are. :)

**AGY's operations are located "downstream" at the base of where all the underground basin flows pool into in the Salar. The geography is such that the brine pumped out will simply replenish from natural flows. Quite the smart strategy.

4. datto

datto Well-Known Member

What I don’t understand is that all of a sudden there’s a glut of lithium and other battery minerals out there. So these mining stock prices are crashing like a deck of cards in a cyclone. More short sellers than a hairy leg competition with a million dollar prize.

I can’t believe nobody saw this coming. I’m calling BS. Mrs Rinehardt is all geared up to buy Lithium miner LTR ASX for a song.

I bought a million LTR shares @ 10 cents a share a few years ago (sold for a small profit). The price climbed to over $3 and today it’s about 91 cents. I think I’ll be able to buy them again for 10 cents shortly.

Last edited: 23rd Jan, 2024
  5. LukeHog

LukeHog Active Member

I was in CXO, bought at 30-40 cents, sold around 80 cents, and they went to $1.50.
    They are now trading at 20 cents. Nicely located mine just south of the port of Darwin.

datto likes this.
  6. LukeHog

LukeHog Active Member

Nevermind you're looking for miners in the US

7. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Lithium price should eventually go back up I hope.

8. d3outguncom

d3outguncom Well-Known Member

Simple supply/demand ratios @datto.

Economy going into mini-recession as a result of interest rate rises and decreased demand, especially for higher priced comparative items like electric vehicles, wind farms, etc means demand down.

Cost of production in all above up significantly affecting both demand and supply.

Volume of supply in the market up in both materials and end of supply chain product increases supply.

All above contributes to price drop.

HOWEVER, none of the numbers for demand for vehicles, renewables, etc. 2030+, which drove increased investment in supply have changed downward. As that timeframe approaches, and global targets for both replacement of all ICE vehicles and non-renewable energy production approaches, interest rates revert to long-term trendline and stocks of minerals deplete, price gets pushed back up.

It's normal for explorers to move between minerals and price of one goes up and another goes down. A number will move out of lithium into gold, uranium, etc. And then come back in 2027(ish) when prices revert (just like they have done with shelved uranium projects until it got to $50/lb and copper when it got below $3.50/lb).

Investors who were looking for a quick flip got into and out of CXO, PLS, etc. Those with a 2030 timeframe might still be in, or may have got out and may get back in 2027. Just an opinion.

datto likes this.
  9. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I have a small interest in a few of these companies.
    Some follow the same pattern as the Green medical smoko and a few medical start ups ..
    Looking at all the mines that are being mothballed or delayed in construction then it's anyone's guess..
    There is a good read about the "Five monkeys experiment" before you invest in the long list in the this sector.

datto likes this.
  10. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

The problem for lithium at the moment is that if you are not in production you need to fund development in a very hostile price environment. Look at ASX:LTM - the merger of Alkem (ASX) and Livent (US) - US listed but trades via CDIs on the ASX. 4th largest lithium co worldwide. In production, profitable, brine, spod and processing to battery grade, production in AU (spod), Argentina (brine), Canada spod just approved and have cash to develop. Tied into Toyota and on it goes.

datto likes this.
  11. Waterboy

Waterboy Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the monkeys are smarter than many humans :D:eek:

12. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Very interesting.

I wonder if other miners eg coal oil might be worth a look at especially if Trump gets back in. He’s anti renewables. His catch cry is “drill baby drill” lol

13. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

LTR is plagued with problems, I'd be very surprised if it gets up to the operating stage this year. Have a look at how many Li miners have ceased operations due to the Li spod price and they're all ready to go. Do you think Gina will sit there watching her millions go to waste, when the SP drops down she'll move in for sure.

datto likes this.
  14. Waterboy

Waterboy Well-Known Member

He will open the taps in his friend Vladimir's oil wells.

datto likes this.
  15. iloveqld

iloveqld Well-Known Member

And anytime you see 2030 timeframe, sell sell and sell... I love to be in short position for any stock with holders saying so as they are catching a falling knife and not mentally committed enough to cut loss.

datto likes this.
  16. Ruby Tuesday

Ruby Tuesday Well-Known Member

But there is no spot market for lithium where prices can be matched to demand. There is no transparency. Which is the way the Chinesse want to keep it. Who ever is willing to sell for the lowest profit will survive, the greater the demand the more they can supply on forward contracts at lower prices . It is a race to the bottom.

datto and PeterCr like this.
  17. Tofubiscuit

Tofubiscuit Well-Known Member

China is starting to dominate EV industry. They have been in my opinion purposely driving down lithium prices and at the same time have locked in supply at very cheap prices by buying mines or locked in JVs.

The current prices will cycle up soon enough, maybe not back to ATH but more sustainable level

datto likes this.
  18. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

It's the same thing time and time again.

Commission launches investigation on subsidised electric cars from China

The European Commission has formally launched today an anti-subsidy investigation into the imports of battery electric vehicles (BEV) from China. The investigation will first determine whether BEV value chains in China benefit from illegal subsidisation and whether this subsidisation causes or threatens to cause economic injury to EU BEV producers. Should both prove true, the investigation will examine the likely consequences and impact of measures on importers, users and consumers of battery electric vehicles in the EU. Based on the investigation's findings, the Commission will establish whether it is in the EU's interest to remedy the effects of the unfair trade practices found by imposing anti-subsidy duties on imports of battery electric vehicles from China.

China 'caught red-handed' on US solar anti-dumping charges

On May 17, the U.S. Department of Commerce (DOC) announced its preliminary determination in response to a petition filed in October 2011 by Oregon-based SolarWorld Industries America and six other complainants. The DOC ruled that the People’s Republic of China (PRC) had violated fair trade policies by "dumping" goods at prices geared to give an advantage to its own manufacturers.

datto likes this.