Looking for costing converting laundry to bedroom and bathroom/kitchen reno

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by couq, 21st May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. couq

couq Well-Known Member

Hi I am looking to purchase a 2 bedroom house on 500 sqm. I have no renovation experience but would love to learn as this will be our PPOR after investing in 2 properties. (both unrenovated). I also have no experience renovating but happy to learn!

It's a simple setup with 2 bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, lounge, dining and laundry
    The laundry is actually an ok size with an attached toilet.

I was thinking possible of converting laundry to 3rd bedroom and moving or building laundry near garage.
    Is this possible or easy to do? Would I need council approval if in existing walls?

Also wanting to renovate bathroom and kitchen to modern standards but have no idea as first time. This will be a PPOR as it is what we can afford and still keep existing investment property.

My questions:

To renovate bathroom with pictures inside and with minimal knowledge what should I cost to it? I am happy to do a bit of handy work but am not really handy myself. What would be costs? Thinking to paint tiles, new vanity (possibly remove toilet although having two is great), new bathtub and shower screen. I have heard with a bit of help it can be done for $15000

Also the kitchen would need a bit of renovating. What would this cost for simple laminate, new modern cupboards, dishwasher and oven. Again not looking for amazing finishes just more modern. I have read about bunnings packages and Ikea benchtops. Would like to keep it also to $15000. Is this achievable?

Thanks. Am really looking to buy this house but wanting to know if its worth it or should look to get something with an extra room but cost +$50000.

Attached Files:

2. housechopper2

housechopper2 Well-Known Member

Painting bathroom tiles is not a good approach for a PPOR, tend to wear out over time - save that for the property flippers!

I'd spend $20 - $25k on the bathroom, keeping everything in the same position except the vanity which could be easily repositioned to the right hand side wall. This spec would include: a larger frameless shower with niche for storage, new freestanding bath with niche above, new 1500mm vanity, fully tiled to ceiling with large format tiles (use stacked format to minimise cuts) and a mirrored cabinet above vanity.

For the kitchen, it looks in fine condition with a pretty new oven as is. I would just spend $1000 getting a good quality dishwasher installed and leave it as is.

Do you need the 3rd bedroom immediately? Probably a project I would tackle later on down the track after living in the home for a year or two.

couq likes this.
  3. couq

couq Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tips. I would be looking to do the 3rd bedroom as I need an additional room but could wait a couple of years.
    The talk of the bathroom looks great and think would add great value to the place. Who have you used for bathroom renos in the Melbourne? Is that quote for diy?

4. housechopper2

I had a similar sized bathroom to yours renovated earlier this year to the spec I mentioned above for a price within the range quoted with no DIY required.

5. mickyyyy

mickyyyy Well-Known Member

You can have laundry inbuilt into the new kitchen so you don't have to create a new building just for it and your budget is more than enough.

20-25k for a bathroom for a rental is absolutely insane, im getting one done now for 10k and that's the works done.

6. couq

couq Well-Known Member

Hi Mickyyyy could you quickly just itemise cost roughly what a 10k bathroom renovation would look like?
    Is this with trades or diy?

7. mickyyyy

mickyyyy Well-Known Member

Hi Couq, its just s standard renovation including re-sheeting walls and new floor of James Hardie HardiePanel 2400 x 1200 x 15mm FC Flooring. Tiles will only go halfway up the wall except shower area which would go to 3/4 up the wall. I just got another quote to go a little nicer products including tiles all the way up to ceiling including new cornice for a nice finish and that was 14k.

Also my bathroom is 5sqm and separate toilet of 2sqm to give you an idea on size

Look around and talk to property managers for contacts to find contractors with good rates. It sucks for me as Sydney prices have gone up and everyone is flat out.

8. housechopper2

It's not a rental...