Looking for advice

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Tobycbuck, 23rd Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tobycbuck

Tobycbuck New Member

I currently have 2 investment properties with about 1.3 million in equity and am looking for some advice on the best ways to expand my portfolio. I am 36 years old, married with two you children and my wife is currently not working. I would like to have a strong portfolio for a long term investment.

House and MTR like this.
  2. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Good evening @Tobycbuck

The most sensible place to start would be a good mortgage broker who can determine the viability of using the equity in your properties to assist you in funding deposits etc on further properties. They could also advise on your likely spend limit for your proposed property purchases.

Sackie likes this.
  3. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Well done. Quite a position to be in at a young age!

1. Get clear on your goals. Expanding your portfolio is all good and well but what are you aiming to achieve?
    2. Chat to an investment-savvy broker (plenty on here) who can look at your situation in detail and give you an idea of what's possible and how you can chase down your goals.
    3. Learn as much as you can by reading through this forum and its predecessor, Somersoft.
    4. Go for it.

:)

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Char to a broker first but then get some advise on ownership strategies and tax strategies. Heaps of ways to maximize the investments while minimising tax.

5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@Tobycbuck well done on your building of equity so far mate. What I would do to move forward from here is:
    1. Talk to a good finance broker as @JacM has indicated
    2. Try to articulate in a little more detail what a " strong portfolio for long term investment" actually means for you.
    3. Write down some short, medium and long term investment goals.
    4. Choose a strategy and plan that reflects your goals, timeframes, risk appetite and own financial situation.
    5. Learn as much as you can.

Good luck mate.

JacM likes this.
  6. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

@Tobycbuck

Well done. Definitely talk to a savvy broker. As well as look at getting a property savvy accountant on your side. The team you build around you is important. Then comes strategy...followed by property.

Property is merely a vehicle to access finance and hence leverage to gain best possible exposure to the market, within your given risk profile.

Last edited by a moderator: 23rd Feb, 2016
    JacM likes this.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.