Looking for a Tax/Accounting Advisor re Legal Structuring

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by svamin, 3rd Sep, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. svamin

svamin New Member

We are a Sydney-based middle-class family looking for professional advice on the legal structure for our existing & future investments. Ideally, someone who can help us with the strategy, legal structure and enablement to maintain on our own (we have an accountant in our family)

Googling brings options but we find it hard to validate the reputation & value for money. We also contacted the company run by a member on this forum - however, they only take new clients who will do a loan brokerage with them (not an option for us).

Any recommendations or referrals of advisors are very welcome. Ideally, would be great if the recommendation comes from a client rather than companies on this forum.

Cheers, Svamin

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

It sounds like you don't need accounting advice, just legal and tax advice. I suggest you try a few lawyers who also advise on tax such as these guys:
    https://www.bpladvisory.com.au

svamin likes this.
  3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Sometimes the question being asked is actually quite simple and the issues may be given inital tax advice provided the tax adviser is competent in knowedge on trusts. I would discuss trusts ten times a week but usually there are issues that make it a poor choice. I dont quite understand "strategy". That isnt tax or legal advice and often falls down to managing credit and your personal choices and plans. Some think I can give them financial (property) advice and I cant. The warning I give is beware of property advisers who help people "plan"... They tend to recommend one strategy. Buy more. I have never found a property adviser who tells a client they should sell.

eg You ring and intended to buy property in Sydney. You want to use a trust. Land tax alone could be a concern.

svamin likes this.
  4. svamin

svamin New Member

Hi Terry_w, yes you are right - we might need to get initial enablement on accounting of trusts. But when it comes to doing accounting, it should not be rocket science for 'a bean counter'
    in the family.

Will definitely check your referral. Getting a referral from a trusted advisor like you to a different firm means a lot! Do you find them as good as you are :)?

5. svamin

svamin New Member

Hi Paul, fair points, indeed. I happen to work in strategy (oh boy, such an overused term with many meanings). I would assume you are one of the professionals who could help in our case.

Do you offer advice mainly in SMSF space or can help with structuring for an educated middle-class Millenials family wanting to enjoy a life earlier than that?
    Do you have anyone on this forum (or elsewhere) who used your services and can share their experience?