Looking for a decent tax accountant in Sydney

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by shrimp42, 26th Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. shrimp42

shrimp42 Member

Hi there,

My wife and I are looking for a decent tax accountant based in Sydney. The accountant I have used the last couple of years has started to let me down, and I need someone reliable who actually wants to help us.

Usually our tax returns have been relatively simple, but in the last 18 months we have got married, bought a PPOR, an IP, a bunch of ETF's and my wife has changed to part time work. We have also rented out our PPOR on Air B&B briefly. I pay more than the $25,000 concessional cap into my super each year, as my employer contributes 13.5%, so I have added tax liabilities. On top of that, I also have to pay div293 each year too.

It's all getting a bit too complicated for me, so I'm looking for some help with an expert who could ensure that we are paying the correct amount of tax, and provide advice on tax efficient strategies going forward.

Anyone have any recommendations for me? Thanks in advance

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

shrimp42 likes this.
  3. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

First, I would stop over contributing to super. There are a few strategies around that and it shouldnt be complex. Many people find all these extra tax issues complex and its often just some guidance and reliable access to help from time to time that makes the world of difference. Div 293 on top of excess contributions is very messy and a sign of poor communication. Excess contributions are largely avoidable. While Div 293 makes contributions subject to 30% tax its still a tax benefit v marginal rate.....But excess contributions then do that anyway. It may be wise to switch some super to spouse too if super accumulation is a strategy for you. While her tax rate is less so is her Div 293 !!

With the rental etc its probably also wise to bring forward lodgement at least initially.

5. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

I use Paul above so can personally vouch for him. Always super efficient and importantly - he's bloody good at counting beans.

Cheers

Jamie

David_SYD likes this.
  6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

One plus four = seven. Take away two for me. Spot on.

7. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

I use @Paul@PFI too. Very knowledgeable and more importantly, approachable with good communication.