Looking after the parents

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Teah62, 4th Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Yes if we signed up a reverse mortgage when interest rates were 18pc fixed for life the break fee would be super high

2. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

Next RC will be on reverse mortgage

3. Teah62

Teah62 Member

4. Teah62

Teah62 Member

yes it is a reverse mortgage loan, this is the information I have. Loan commenced on 17/10/2007, amount was $66,300 first payment of $35,000 followed by payments of $521.67 for 60 months at a fixed rate of 8.79%. As far as payment they are only required to pay 6 months after they die or (one or the other) move to long term aged care. I would estimate that their property at the moment is valued at approximately $380,000 the contract also has a statements that says "The lender can change any of the financial information described above without your consent. The change may include the method of calculation of interest or rates of interest, repayment amounts, payment dates for repayments and fees and charges (but no change can be made to a fixed interest rate during a fixed rate term and no change can be made to repayments during a repayment free period). In addition, the lender may introduce new fees and charges without your consent."

5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Write to the lender and ask for a payout figure for a projected date, I.e., in 3 months time (to give you time to sell).

Until you have that, in writing, you are acting blindly.

wylie, The Y-man and Terry_w like this.
  6. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Unfortunately everything went against the borrower here. Interest rates fell and wa prices havent gone up.

Beano and Teah62 like this.
  7. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

In 2007 for 5 years? Are those numbers correct?

8. Teah62

Teah62 Member

There is no actual date for repayment just when they die and as far as I know they haven't locked in a date for that. The 60 months is the loan received by parents at a agreed amount of $521.67 hence total loan $66,300

9. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I (very) roughly calculate the current principle to be about $182k, and interest at $16k pa increasing by $2k pa.
    If the loan was for 20 year, then the expected income for the lender would be say another $190k, so a payout of about $370k ~~ but as per @Marg4000, get the quote from the lender.

The Y-man

10. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Any chance the loan reverts to Variable after the initial five year term?

11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Buckley's

12. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Bluestone are a non conforming lender similar to Liberty, for eg, and as far as I'm aware they don't do reverse mortgages any more.

I can't help with the situation, I don't do reverse mortgages so not really familiar with the terms around them.

13. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Yes Jess, there was nothing on their website last night about reverse mortgages.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia