Look at all these similarities

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Younginvestor2, 16th Dec, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Younginvestor2

Younginvestor2 Well-Known Member

At the peak of property boom in 2006-07,just before the crash :
    Ireland had
    1. household debt to income ratio of >200.
    2. household debt to gdp >100.
    3. price to income ratio of >10.
    4.10 to 12% workforce involved in construction.
    5. loose lending by financial institutions and many 100% lending.
    6. overgenerous section 23 tax incentive.
    7. doubling of property price in 6 years preceding the crash
    8. new ghost towns.
    9. unemployment rate was 5%.
    10. Initial loss in year 2007 was only 5-6% followed by huge losses following recession in USA and Europe in following years.

By 2012,5 years after the peak, properties in Ireland lost between 47-62% from peak values in 2006-07.

2. mues

mues Well-Known Member

All true. Counter arguments.

1. The Celtic tiger went harder and faster than the au economy
    2. External shock of USA issues added to woes. This is not proven to happen to us.
    3. Smaller economy is easier to pump up and easier to pop as it’s less diverse (mind you ours isn’t great)

Mind you I’m not a property bull.

I see 20% if economy holds. More losses if other factors kick in.

3. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

I dont see man chinese people wanting to buy in Dublin, vs coogee or Bondi for eg ?

ta
    rolf

AnDy62 and jefn89 like this.
  4. Guest

Guest Guest

A currency which couldn't decline independently as an economic shock absorber.

That ratio might be typical in Sydney, but not many other capitals. What were the ratios like outside of Dublin?

5. Hwangers

Hwangers Well-Known Member

If I had my way I'd let the free market economy run its course... booms, busts, bubbles, bordellos... anything goes.

You play with fire don't expect to not get burnt et al.

Sadly for me, and somewhat fortuitously for everyone else - I think the moral fabric of society will be torn to shreds under this fiscal outlook...

(retreats back to cave)

dengus likes this.
  6. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

The thing people need to understand about Ireland's real estate crash is primarily that their property boom was a bubble based on new development. It was a building boom more than a real estate boom - and the massive growth in their economy as a result made everyone feel very bullish and overconfident. (Similar things happened in parts of the US!).

The problem was that the development was unsustainable - they were building entire new towns/suburbs in areas where nobody wanted to live! It was largely speculative development.

I've heard it anecdotally from several people who lived in Ireland during that period and they were incredulous at some of the development - building a large number of properties in an area where there really wasn't much demand and a long way from jobs and such. They simply didn't understand why so much construction was occurring in some of these areas they were seeing it.

So when the funding crisis hit via the GFC (and it affected Irish banks far more than it affected Australian banks!), they got hit really hard because one of the main drivers of growth in their economy was the real estate construction industry.

Wikipedia has pretty good coverage of the Irish property bubble - Wikipedia

Here is one quote:

Eventually, demand for residential property fell in early 2007, resulting in price decreases of 0.6% in March 2007, and of 0.8% in April 2007. This led to an expectation of a drop in house prices on a quarterly basis for the first time since 1994. Houses in the commuter belt in Greater Dublin fell earlier, due to a combination of increased supply in the Dublin urban area, increasing interest rates, and continuing infrastructural deficiencies in rural communities. Prices in large urban areas were static, though demand dropped noticeably. However, a significant proportion of these new builds are unoccupied. Economic commentators give a figure of approximately 230,000 vacant properties. Of these, up to 115,000 or so may be holiday homes.​

Of course, once things started to slow down - a lot of the speculative development stopped and people who had been employed by the booming construction industry lost their jobs.

Another quote:
    During the property bubble, a disproportionate number of people were employed in the construction industry. As that has contracted and other manufacturing moved offshore, unemployment by May 2009 was at 11.4%, and had reached 14.3% by September 2011. The Economic and Social Research Institute estimated it will eventually reach around 17%​

The difference in Australia is that our booming population has been the main driver behind demand for property and development hasn't been so speculative in most areas - there is real demand for properties.

Construction has seen a large proportion of infill development (increasing density in areas close to demand centres where people actually want to live) - certainly in Sydney anyway. Melbourne has seen a lot more outer suburban development, but again - they have significant population growth to support that.

The Chinese influence certainly had an impact on property prices - but that has largely been negated now by new rules on foreign ownership.

While easy access to finance has certainly been a key driver of property prices in Australia - our banks are still (despite their many failings) fundamentally strong - as is our economy. More importantly, housing construction has not become the dominant force driving our economic growth - we are much more diversified than that, so a downturn in construction activity should not see a significant impact on overall economic prosperity in the country.

So while I do think that Australian prices have over-shot somewhat, I don't think we were ever in a bubble, and what we are seeing now is a correction, rather than a crash.

Either way - I think the Australian economy is strong enough to cope with this property downturn - it won't have a significant flow on effect. I do think we'll see a slowing of overall economic growth though, as people spend less when they don't feel so bullish.

The only caveat here is if the government does something really silly to trigger much wider negativity towards real estate - we may see a selloff and prices driven substantially lower. I'm not sure removing negative gearing will be enough to cause that - I'm more thinking of significantly more idiotic policy.

7. fobo

fobo Well-Known Member

This is what I dont understand, Sydney is packed - the streets, the shops, the public transport. All these people need somewhere to live, and everyone wants to live in the same areas

8. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

Yeah and everyone wants a house with a backyard and pool. Problem is how much the banks are willing to lend. Doesnt really matter if theres a horde of coffee barista or smashed avo making chefs around, if the banks dont lend em money, prices wont go up much at all.. Supply and demand plays role but affordability and credit availability are important as well. If the average joe has flat wage growth and has his lending capacity reduced by banks from 300k to 200k, then an average joe couple will go from a 600k budget to 400k budget. New house prices in fringe estates would then have to follow.

Ted Varrick and namrata like this.
  9. datto

datto Well-Known Member

So.....where does peoples' money go if not in a house?.....rent ?:)

Ted Varrick likes this.
  10. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Nah, live rent-free with Grandma and go to Bali or Thailand three times a year.

Someguy and datto like this.
  11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Spend it all on vices :rolleyes:

datto likes this.
  12. datto

datto Well-Known Member

You mean more vices :)

[​IMG]
    Feel da squeeze.....stop it!

TAJ likes this.
  13. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@datto is that your latest crush????

datto likes this.
  14. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

You really are one sick puppy, but I love it! Only in the Druitt!

datto likes this.
  15. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

You make it sound like Bangkok!

16. fobo

fobo Well-Known Member

Well I work near Pitt street mall and catch a train from townhall, it doesn’t feel far off..

TAJ likes this.
  17. Someguy

Someguy Well-Known Member

Poker machines and TAB? Repayments on the SUV?

datto likes this.
  18. Someguy

Someguy Well-Known Member

So prices will go down and people will have more money to spend or can work less. Sounds quite ideal.

Equity mate! Our addiction to finance and rising house prices have all worked together to create spending.

A crash and reset might just be a positive long term.

datto likes this.
  19. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Hows Ireland today?

I heard its now reversed and there's a housing supply shortage and employment is near record levels?

Someguy and datto like this.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.