Long vacant period; Slow rental market?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by chunho01, 1st Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Rental market is slow out there?

1. Yes

2. Don't think so

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

next time you feel like painting don't choose what seems to be lilac?

I don't think there are many males comfortable renting a feminine coloured house.

Other than that I wouldn't want to spend any more on a unit that rents for $300 a week.

Consider:
    - offering one or two weeks rent free at the current rate
    - agreeing to consider pets (a small dog or cat would be ok in a unit)
    - I saw one place offer a free Ipad mini with a lease signing.

2. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Have you spoken to other agencies for their opinions

3. Kael

Kael Well-Known Member

The photos seem fine. As others have mentioned, are open homes being done by your agent? On weekend? By inspection aswell? If you were to drop the rent and you would be getting less rent then before, that's a shame, but imagine how much lower you would have had to reduce it if you didn't renovate. I'd say your best bet would be to drop the rent.

4. Emoi

Emoi Well-Known Member

I know how to use google so it took a second to find the ad.
    There are only a few reviews for the agency but they are far from glowing and all stem around being hard to contact and not returning calls.

And

S.T, Ed Barton and HUGH72 like this.
  5. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have found the answer for Chunho01. No inspections, crap agency who don't return calls

6. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

There seems to be a lot of properties listed to rent in the burb and surrounds. From other posts about the burb it's had an over saturation of investors, and therefore an oversupply of rentals. The cheapest comparables start at $270. Although a couple look like crime scenes.

I'd be getting a new PM pronto and if it doesn't rent in a week I'd reduce the price to $300 so it falls in another search band.

7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I would be getting it to $300 immediately to catch anybody using an upper limit of $300 to search for properties.

8. VeronicaR

VeronicaR Well-Known Member

We had to drop our rate to pre-renovation rental price in Brisbane a month ago. The difference is we dropped it as soon as we realised the market was crap, so the property did not go stale. Unfortunately this is just part of the deal with owning an IP. No point getting emotional... every week without rent takes many weeks at the higher rate to recover. We put our tenants on a 6month lease and figure we can raise it a little during the hot time of year (Jan/Feb).

9. Ed Barton

From a quick search of the area it looks like it's worth $320 and the agent is the problem. Pretty hard to rent a place if the agent doesn't return calls or do opens.

But yeah, if after changing agents it doesn't rent quickly I'd be taking your advice. Can then slowly bump up the rent.

10. Ed Barton

IMO the whole idea of a rental property going stale is a bit overstated. Sure, sales listings go stale, rental listings, not so much.

I like your style though. You simply have to accept what the market is prepared to rent for and get someone in ASAP. Once someone's in you can jack up the rent. Market rent is never a definite price - it's a range.

Lots of LLs like to keep rent a little low for existing tenants. I disagree. I have existing tenants at the high end of market rent and reduce to the low end of market rent on a vacate to get it filled quickly.

11. VeronicaR

VeronicaR Well-Known Member

You are probably right about the stale thing... but I guess we were very keen not to go another week without rent!

12. Ed Barton

Rightly so. It seems most LLs can't work a calculator!

13. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Thats a good idea, I'm probably guilty of keeping the rent at the lower end of the market for existing tenants especially if they are looking after the property.

14. Ed Barton

There's no relationship between rent rate and the tenant looking after the property.

If I was the OP I'd get someone in at $300 pronto. Each week holding out for an extra $20 is many weeks rent! Assuming no change in market rents I'd get the rent up to, or exceeding, $320 within 18 months.

VeronicaR likes this.
  15. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I always check the number of hits on the properties for rent. I get suspicious if a house has had hundreds and into the thousands of hits and still is sitting empty. So "going stale" is possibly not quite the term, but with so many lookers and still available, there is something wrong, probably overpriced, but could be bad position, bad agent. We all know that everything looks fantastic in a photo, and never as good in real life, so I've also learnt over the years not to just glance at the photo but take a very good look.

I always try to prepare myself to not be shocked when the huge living area turns out to be the size of a broom closet because the photo is taken with a fish eye lens. Things that look good at first glance show their true colours when you look more closely at the photos.

16. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

I agree with your first point but when you have exceptional tenants how actually add value, paint etc when approved you want to keep them. In this case I am reluctant to increase the rent to the top of what the the market will bear.
    For your average tenants or worse I act a little differently

17. 733

733 Well-Known Member

Find out how quickly your PM responds to inquiries and if your property has been listed at market value via a recently undertaken comparative rental assessment.

If the price listed is at market value and the PM follows up asap on leads via emailing inquirers a rental application to complete or meeting applicants onsite asap (inspection by appointment at a time that works into applicants work and family commitments) then the property from my experience rents expediently.

18. Ed Barton

If the tenant has painted the place they actually have more invested (non-financial) in the place and are more reluctant to move and will cop rent increases. However for that sort of tenant I would probably keep the rent at the lower end of market range.

19. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

The photos could be much better.. more light! for a start.. anything looking dark inside never impresses.

20. God_of_money

God_of_money Well-Known Member

The vacancy rate @ 3020 is 2.8%