Long-time lurker, infrequent poster, Sydney

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Jennifer Duke, 9th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Welcome Jennifer welcome. Got an IP in Whalan? Better make that another welcome.

I feel that we have so much in common even though I'm straight with a slight six pack.

Yep, I've got a house just up the road from Whalan. It's my jewel in the crown. Seen fantastic capital growth although things are now starting to simmer.

Had troublesome tenants as well but the problems were licked when I changed managing agents.

You can't go wrong with an IP in the Druitt !

RetireRich101 likes this.
  2. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

datto, sometimes I find you try really really hard to blend in with Druitt :p

Jennifer Duke and datto like this.
  3. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

Hope you got the $&@ker that stole one of your 6 beers

Phantom and datto like this.
  4. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I got his stash.

Jennifer Duke and S.T like this.
  5. devank

devank Well-Known Member

Hurray... finally we found a property writer who actually owns multiple properties :)
    Welcome Jennifer.

S.T and Jennifer Duke like this.
  6. Jennifer Duke

Jennifer Duke Well-Known Member

I am SO happy to be home. The Melbourne years were the worst (great state, not so great being away from family/friends etc).

Absolutely re: being impartial! I struggled so much. Too much heart-on-the-sleeve going on!

We need to properly catch up soon!! x

Thank you - we're intending to do a "proper" ceremony when the law comes in (feels funny to me without something to sign at the end of it otherwise...) but until then the word very much applies :).

No major issues - our first tenants were friends of the wife's and she dealt with it largely. There were some falling outs and I had to intervene to keep everything happy. Double handling with a bond, nothing written up etc. Pretty much a disaster. Second was a friend of mine, he was a great tenant (almost always on time with the rent etc), but because we had one of the rooms filled with our furniture and it wasn't 100pc straightforward it made us very slack about our own financial situation. Would have made more sense for us financially to charge market rent (we charged about $150 a week and this was only a few months ago). It was just a bit of an emotional time, lots of awkward phone calls about things etc. He was incredible, it was just hard to have difficult conversations when someone is your friend and you want to do the best for their situation even when it's contrary to the best for your own situation!

Our IP is now our home. Have been looking into another one locally, but probably not for a while! We're pretty happy that our mortgage debt levels are relatively low but we have some other (bad) debt to kill off before we get back into accumulating properties. We figure we need at least two, if not three, fully paid off providing rental income to have our dream animal sanctuary self-sustaining. Back of the envelope calculations, but it's something!

Which road is yours on? We're a couple of turns off Luxford.

Jacque and RetireRich101 like this.
  7. Jennifer Duke

Bahaha. I don't aspire to be a property mogul, but I do really love the job and the industry :).

8. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

I can vouch that @sash is a skinny little guy. As for combat, I haven't put myself in that situation, yet. ;)

9. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

Oh mixing business and friends/family has serious potential to get messy quickly! Although it seems to be working for a coworker of mine! But I think she is a lucky one!

Jennifer Duke likes this.
  10. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

Welcome Jennifer!

I've had a few meetings at Starbucks Mt Druitt. LOL

11. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Hi Jennifer.
    I like your cat.

12. datto

datto Well-Known Member

@Jennifer Duke I'm in Letho just off Luxford.

Walking distance to the shops (bottlo, chemist, servo, community centre) near all those scay underpasses and Bougainville Rd, low rise houso units and a 3000sq mtr block of land that's been for sale for yonks.

13. Jennifer Duke

One of many :)

14. Jennifer Duke

I think you have to be a certain sort of person... either very aware upfront (which I was not at all!) or very in control of your emotions/ability to not be stressed/etc! I think she must be the exception to the rule. Next time using an agent (at least until I have more knowledge/control...!). Have you self-managed?

15. Jennifer Duke

Pretty much 5 mins from mine!

RetireRich101 likes this.
  16. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

Yes. I self manage my one IP. It is only 7 or so minutes from my house which is nice and convenient. I never hear from my tenants and the house and yard is immaculate. I make an effort to maintain open communication and they text me whenever there is any issue as this is my preferred method of contact. It makes life super easy! I hope the resign!!! It has been 10 months and I have only heard from then twice regarding appropriate maintenance requests (both super cheap fixes) and another message thanking me for a gift. I only contact them regarding inspections. It works really well.. But maintaining professional boundaries is super hard because I am naturally a 'talker'!

17. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

living in Mt Druitt wasn't scary at all, until now....:)

18. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Sounds like you live near or former PPOR......and yet we've never met. Never had an issue living in Letho, but it is much nicer in St Clair.:D

19. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

i worked in the Letho shops for 19 years ....

Cliff

20. datto

datto Well-Known Member

^^^^ Well there is always that possibility that we have met or crossed paths somewhere in the past.