Long-time lurker, infrequent poster, Sydney

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Jennifer Duke, 9th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Jennifer Duke

Jennifer Duke Well-Known Member

I've been reading this forum for ages (including via Somersoft), but rarely post.

I write about property for Domain (formerly Property Observer and way before that at a property investing magazine).

Currently have PPOR with granny flat in Whalan (Mount Druitt) and a block of land in regional NSW (for future retirement/animal sanctuary/money suckage for the next 40 plus years). Working on an IP as our next step, probably once we have finished renovations on our home - so far have done the kitchen, with bathroom and a few other bits and pieces to go.

My wife is substantially older than I am, so we have a lot to accomplish in not very much time... but we're both pretty risk averse.

Love property, but can't say I enjoy landlording (we self-managed the Mount Druitt place for a while during a 2 year stint in Melbourne and it was stressful - will only ever use a PM from now on).

Anyway. Keen to chat property whenever, wherever :).

bobbyj, WattleIdo and S.T like this.
  2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

You are posting as Jennifer but you have a wife?........o........k

Congrats on the house & g/flat in Whalan - it would have had substantial growth in the last 2 years.

You're right about landlording. Property investment would be great if it weren't for tenants :)

3. Jennifer Duke

Yes - I'm gay and as close to married as this damn government will allow.

Thank you! We were intending to sell when we went to Melbourne, but thankfully held onto it!

I'm sure tenants are fine but self-managing is very silly (for novices like myself!)

4. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

Hi Jennifer - I've seen your articles. Love property also. Have you been to one of the Wenty meet ups?

Jennifer Duke likes this.
  5. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

That thought never occurred to me (my apologies) :oops: - although I don't know why as we have had lots of G&L clients over the years.

Personally, I made the decision at the outset of investing, to never self-manage. I wanted a life and you don't get one if tenants feel like you are on-tap to their every whim or emergency (real or imagined).

6. Jennifer Duke

It's all good :).

I think that's the right decision to have made - we decided to rent it to friends who needed a place and it was this heart-wrenching thing when we gave them notice and were moving back as they had a dog and we didn't know where they were going to go (so we gave them a month's free rent as we're bleeding hearts etc). It's too much for me! I need someone to handle those awkward conversations.

7. Jennifer Duke

No I haven't! I went to a Somersoft meeting in Melbourne once and that has been about it. I should definitely come along to a Wenty one. When is the next one? Would be keen to meet everyone.

8. Property Twins

January 20th I believe:)

9. Jennifer Duke

Excellent, will add it to my calendar and come along :).

10. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

So does mean we finally get to meet you ?

Nice bunch of people out there , as long as you can stop them talking about property ...:eek:

Cliff

Jennifer Duke and Property Twins like this.
  11. Property Twins

Haha @monalisa and I were there July & September! It's more like we get to finally meet you!! @See Change

12. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

I am loving your article on Mt Druitt... Loving the Starbucks. I am there with my wife and daughter every fortnightly or so. While alot of Starbucks scaled back few years ago, the one of a kind drive thru Starbucks survived...

7 things to love about living in Mount Druitt

Jennifer Duke and Property Twins like this.
  13. Jennifer Duke

Thank you! Must admit there was quite a lot of office giggling, but I do actually love the place :). It's so busy these days though - you basically have to fight for a seat...

RetireRich101 likes this.
  14. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

@skater @MsAli, maybe mix up the meetup next year... Instead of property talk over a beer, perhaps property chat over a latte weekend (at Starbucks @ Mt Druitt)...make sure you do send invite to sash :D

15. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Happy to come....will you be there...or will you pike out.....?

I promise...I am really only a skinny little guy..........though I a well versed in hand to hand combat fighting the taliban. ;)

16. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Haha, I'll keep the Wenty ones, as they seem quite successful.....but I'll also come along to Starbucks, especially as it's a lot closer for me than Wenty's.

17. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Hey Jen

Nice to see you posting more often :) and trust you're enjoying being back in the better state LOL
    Self-managing only works if you can stay impartial but I'm sure you've figured that out already :D
    We had a tenant years ago who was initially the ideal tenant but then turned rogue on me... we were managing ok but, like you, I ended up hiring a good PM to intervene and put the hard word on. Getting too close never a great idea :)

Sackie likes this.
  18. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

Hehe I love that you have adopted the marriage lingo! Stuff the Gov who are dragging their feat.

Anyways, welcome to the forum!

I love self managing! Have you had many issues?

19. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

Funny thing is .....you and Mona came to the July one and September. ...Cliff didn't that I recall. ...then you guys couldn't make November but Cliff did....lol....you keep on missing each other. ..

Property Twins likes this.
  20. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

I've been to two . obviously the two the twins didn't turn up two ... oops too

obviously falling down on my timing ... might have to go back and be an apprentice again :eek:

cliff

skater, Phantom and Property Twins like this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia