Long term renovating and insurances????

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Mardi McKenzie, 8th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mardi McKenzie

Mardi McKenzie Member

Please help....
    Its been a very long week and somehow I have gotten myself roped into to mentor a friends father (71) with a renovation on what will be his home. You don't have to say it, I already know it's going to be a nightmare and am trying to keep my distance and just provide assistance....arrghh.

Anyway, I thought I would come to the source of all wisdom for a quick 11th hour question, this man of course, just has normal home insurance, the house isn't being lived in, and currently no plans for anyone to move in, but plans for renovations to be done in stages over the next 6-12 months between work and travels. Is there an insurance he can get that will cover the property while it isn't being tenanted, but isn't being lived in? People are coming and going from the property, and will be as things get done, but as there is no rush, things are being spread out, and of course, its that time of year as well.
    Any pearls of wisdom, point me in the right direction so I can direct this fellow down the right path, I'd hate to see him left vunerable, when it would just be an oversight. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Most will not cover vacancy over 60 days. EBM will cover no limit on vacancy with an increased excess

Mardi McKenzie likes this.
  3. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I'd check what the current policy covers. I'd imagine 20 mill of public liability and possibly cover for contractors.

I would ring the insurance company, explain the situation and make sure the cover is sufficient.

Insurance Coys record the conversation so they should be accountantable. Or do they only record when I ring up?

Ah, it's great being a mentor. Good brownie points for Karma.

4. datto

datto Well-Known Member

But what is the definition of vacant...no not the stuff between my ears lol no.

If the property will for most days have contractors in it plus a project manager then surely it's not vacant.

5. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Not slept in overnight or having furniture typically

6. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

With some insurers means of proving not vacant is having the electricity connected.