ETF Long Term ongoing ETFs ideas

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by JS-C0nfus3d18, 10th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Ruby Tuesday

Ruby Tuesday Well-Known Member

s
    Yeh must be getting old, Super Hero being nominee mean they are not the owner. The entity that owns them is the name on the account. The shares are held by CHESS, the ASX and you have a HIN giving you title in your name, the bank account is in your name, the purpose of CHESS is to register and secure your tittle to the shares. If Super Hero goes broke you can use another broker to sell your shares. What Super Hero does is use technology that wasnt available 20 years ago to Amalgate buy order's and then sort and place them into the appropriate accounts by the end of the day (even more reason to buy in small tranches if you are so paraniod) Opes prime was a managed Fund totally different,MF global was a derivatives and commodities broker offering risky and totally different services using totally different technology. I guess you wouldnt buy a house either as that would be more risky as the deposit is held in the name of real estate agents.

twisted strategies likes this.
  2. ChrisP73

ChrisP73 Well-Known Member

Preferable never to quote the gibberish as it makes threads very confusing for those that have "ignore" configured. Just saying.

SatayKing and twisted strategies like this.
  3. ChrisP73

Good job @PT18
    The main thing is to get started, keep your savings rate up, keep reading/thinking/learning, and adjust slowly and with purpose and understanding as you go. You're already ahead of the vast majority.

Anne11 and twisted strategies like this.
  4. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

am absolutely on board with the 'reading and thinking and learning ' advice ( there is heaps i haven't read yet )

5. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Preferable never to quote the gibberish as it makes threads very confusing for those that have "ignore" configured. Just saying.

Did you post something? ;)

ChrisP73 likes this.
  6. Hockey Monkey

Hockey Monkey Well-Known Member

Isn’t this just what custodians of shares have done for decades?

for example if you buy your equities via Vanguard Personal Investor or a super fund such as HostPlus ChoicePlus

7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Anyone comments on this? Thoughts

VDHG

8. Lone_Wolf

Lone_Wolf Well-Known Member

Chris, what about the CBA commsec platform?

9. twisted strategies

i have an aversion to 'fund of funds ' in general ( especially if bonds are involved )

a quick peek at the basics of VDHG , raises the question of 90% aimed at 'high risk/high growth , and then you need to factor in investment size trying to 'right-size the entry points

what i can do with my '$1000 dabbles' is so much harder if you are trying to park say $500,000 at a time

the low recent franking hints at international ( or REIT ) exposure

i think i would prefer a fund ( or LIC) that just focused on small caps and keep the holding at sensible levels ( buying levels that is if the fund , say, triples in $value .. THAT is a different decision ( to let it run or reduce )

cheers

10. JS-C0nfus3d18

JS-C0nfus3d18 Active Member

Wow, at no point in time, I had thought this would turn out to be such a lengthy discussion, but so glad to see things from various angles. Appreciate everyone's input. Every message in this thread has helped me understand the long term strategy.

As it stands now, and after thoroghly going through the article that @Hockey Monkey pointed out, I am reducing the number of ETFs I would invest even further and also as suggested by @mtat , will keep things simple for following reasons:

In brief-

- As per the article suggested by @Hockey Monkey , good to limit exposure to AUD to 50-65% of total portfolio.
    - Considering that I already have an Investment and home, already have good exposure to AUD and hence should look at investing in non-AUD assets.
    - The article also suggests to limit investments to AUS equities to less than 30% or so.

So based on all these, I think below looks like a well balanced allocation which is all unhedged and also limits AUS equities exposure to 25%, while also increases allocation to unhedged global equities.

VAS - 25%
    VAE - 40%
    VGS - 35%

Bringing it down to just 3 ETFs will also help lower the cost of brokerage.

Spot on from @mtat and @Hockey Monkey as they had previously suggested this combination. Going through all these posts increased the reasoning behind those suggestions which lot of novice investors like me will benefit from.

Thank you very much again for all your inputs.

Last edited: 12th Apr, 2021
  11. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

It would be absolutely fine for a person who wants simply to invest their funds, accept what the market provides and get on with other things. It may have variable income but the product covers many things including Australia and International markets with a smattering of hedging.

Here is the Vanguard link if you haven't already seen it. Poke around the site and see if it is a product with which you feel comfortable.

Investment products | Vanguard Australia Personal Investor

It may be best to ignore some negative drivel which has been posted about it.

MTR and twisted strategies like this.
  12. Hockey Monkey

Glad you are finding the discussion useful in your investing journey.

Please be aware that 40% VAE is a massive bet on Asia emerging markets at around 3-4x their global market cap.

Suggest limiting such a bet to 10-15%

13. twisted strategies

to me , Asia ( including India/Pakistan , but excluding Japan ) is the place to bet ,but i agree 40% seems a bit aggressive

but if not Asia , where does the extra xx% go

placing that extra cash is a tough one

JS-C0nfus3d18 likes this.
  14. Anne11

Anne11 Well-Known Member

Not questioning your allocation. Just to prompt a question on how much conviction do you have so if one sector did not do well for a few years and you would still keep the allocations?

ChrisP73 and twisted strategies like this.
  15. ChrisP73

@Lone_Wolf if your question is: does CommSec have chess sponsorship, then the answer is yes.

16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

17. Hockey Monkey

18. pippen

pippen Well-Known Member

YouTube: index funds the movie 2018, great movie. Enjoy

19. monk

monk Well-Known Member

Yes, there was way too much of this on the now defunct 'investchat' site,making investing sound very complicated,too involved & too hard. Okay for some I guess.
    Best thing I got from that site was a link to this site.... a breath of fresh air with lots of good, sound advice for a simple & successful approach to long term investing.

twisted strategies and number 5 like this.
  20. Hockey Monkey

A passive investor doesn't try to place bets on companies, sectors or countries and instead buys the entire market at cap weight.

How to get worldwide index exposure on the ASX — Passive Investing Australia

If you want to throw in a little more risk/return we have approaches like factors and leverage.

JS-C0nfus3d18, monk, ChrisP73 and 2 others like this.