Long term leases in Victoria...?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by wylie, 15th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Marg4000 likes this.
  2. Dean Collins

Dean Collins Well-Known Member

I don't know why as investors you wouldn't want longer leases.

I keep offering 1/2/3 year leases to our tenants and they always come back accepting only the 1/2 option.

If I had an existing tenant in that I knew was a good tenant I'd be happy to sign a 5 year lease with agreed upon rental increases on an annual basis.

3. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Yep.... I can't seem to understand why the article is trying to argue it's a bad idea. Because it's not. A longer lease will suit a lot of tenants, and a good number of landlords too.

4. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

We always offer our tenants 6 months as their first lease and tell them that if they pay their rent on time and look after the property, we will offer longer leases in the future. If they don't, we don't renew.

Currently, subsequent leases are 12 months renewal. For good tenants, I would consider offering 2 and 3 year renewal on their second and third renewals but I don't know whether I would go any higher (say 5 year renewals).

To me, residential tenants are a lot different to commercial tenants.

Commercial tenants want/need accommodation certainty to run their businesses; so 5/7/10 year leases are the norm.

I don't believe too many residential tenants nor landlords would want 5/7/10 year leases but I can see that 1/2/3 year leases could become the norm.

wylie likes this.
  5. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

There are families who rent and love where they live. There's also that recent poster who said he wanted to buy his own home, and the reason for wanting to own was driven a lot by his experiences of having to move every year growing up. Not all tenants want a longer tenancy, but a good proportion of them will. I know people who have rented the same home for 10 years. The house works for them... (they also want the carpet changed and the right to paint the walls as they haven't been painted or recarpeted during that whole time but the owner won't let them... but that's another story)

The 6 month lease then 12 month then giving a longer term option of tenancy (once you know they are a great responsible tenant with a good track record) sounds reasonable to me.

kierank likes this.
  6. kierank

Yeah, we once had a good long-term tenant who rented one of our IPs for 8 years and then they stopped paying their rent.

Their reason:- they had paid enough. WTF!!!

Just a reminder that even good long-term tenants can go bad.

Hetty likes this.
  7. wylie

For me, long term leases mean I'm locked in and lose the flexibility I need for how our assets are structured.

We have just listed a house. Tenants knew we might sell "sometime in the next few years" and were happy to stay four years. It so happened they were looking for a different lifestyle and housing style at the same time we told them we wanted to sell.

If we had signed up this same good tenant on a long term lease, and found we really needed to sell the house, then that becomes a problem for us.

That particular house, before the tenant who has just left, had a tenant for 15 years. He never closed a window, so they had to be removed and rebuilt as they didn't close any longer, had "dropped" a little.

As landlord, we had no say over whether he closed the windows. We could do nothing about it.

He didn't report the plumbing problem until mould started growing on the wall backing onto the bathroom. We also didn't do regular (certainly not even six months) inspections, so that is partly our fault.

Two other houses have tenants who have been there I think nine and seven years. Fantastic tenants who know our plans for the houses. We will not issue leases longer than twelve months as we need to lift these houses "sometime in the next three years".

With rents being so low right now, we won't do this yet and plan on keeping these tenants for another two years. But we still will not sign them up for that long and lock in. We are very honest with them, and will continue to be honest. They are staying as long as they can and we will keep them as long as we can, without locking it in.

We had tenants move into a nearby house. They'd just been paid $10k to break their lease and move out to allow the house to be sold with vacant possession. Just after moving into the new place, they found out the landlord had it on the market. They were not happy. Landlord had no right legally to list it so early in the new tenancy I believe.

So the same reason tenants want a long tenancy is often the reason landlords don't want it. It locks two parties into a contract when one party could have a change of circumstance and wish to move or sell.

kierank likes this.
  8. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I wonder if this is a QLD thing - In Victoria I thought that I could sell my IP at any time regardless of when the lease was signed?

(Of course, the lease continues with the new owner in this case.)

9. wylie

This was to sell with vacant possession. Tenants were safely on a lease but purchaser didn't want tenants with the house.

10. kierank

I know someone who wanted to buy a Unit in a Melbourne duplex but it had just recently been rented with a 12 month lease. The buyer wanted vacant possession on settlement.

Long story short. The tenant agreed to move out if they received $50,000 to vacate. The buyer and the seller chipped in $25,000 each.

I assume the 50 grand is tax free as it is not income.

Marg4000 and WattleIdo like this.
  11. kierank

I believe the landlord had every right legally (in other words, they weren't breaking the law).

Morally, well that is a different issue. But I suppose it depends on your morals.

12. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

I've met very, very few tenants that want to sign an agreement over 5 years. Generally the longest lease I've done is 2 years at a time and as a tenant myself I wouldn't want to sign a longer agreement as I like flexibility - I'd also recommend against such long leases due to a few factors above.

I think the lease terms should've been at the bottom of the pile to change. You can already do a 5 year lease, the only real change is currently a lease over 5 years isn't covered under the RTA.

13. Lions4Eva

Lions4Eva Well-Known Member

14. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

We took a 2 year lease on the joint we currently rent.