Long Term Investing Valuation and Timing Strategies

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Nodrog, 2nd Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Nodrog likes this.
  2. Anne11

Anne11 Well-Known Member

Nodrog likes this.
  3. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

@Il Falco says:
    I think the following example might be an instance of this albeit I wouldn't have known at the time. I was too busy buying to look:).

Take AFI which is generally the most expensive of the LICs. And here's me with ears pinned back buying where the arrows are. I went too hard too early during the initial GFC crash (NTA also at a premium) but cashed up again I caught most of the subsequent bear market buying opportunities. Other LICs less popular and smaller with greater discounts to NTA (huge in some instances) offered substatially better buying opportunities. I went even more crazy buying a number of them. These are the times us Contrarian investors dream of.

Match the timeline of the green arrows (where I went on a LIC buying spree ) on AFI's price chart with It's NTA discount for the same date range:

AFI's Price Chart:
    IMG_0040.JPG

AFI's NTA Chart:
    IMG_0034.JPG

Believe me when these situations arise you won't need any indicators to know these are incredible buying opportunities. Indicators and tools as discussed previously may however reduce the probability of exhausting one's cash / LOCs too soon. Watching great opportunities from the sidelines because you've run out of funds to invest is a bit depressing:(.

And of course this is an extreme example and not what @Il Falco was specifically meaning. One needs a guide for the rest of the time as well.

Given the heat wave coming through I expect to be inside again entertaining myself playing around with these things. Thanks all for your ideas.

A deep bear market AND LICs at a discount to NTA, doesn't get any better than that. Please, please Mr Market can we do this again:).

Last edited: 12th Jan, 2017
    oracle and Anne11 like this.
  4. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Yes, another excellent point thanks. One could try to apply these criteria at the index level as you suggest.

I was reading the other day that Smart Beta is gaining more support so I expect there to be some very interesting developments in this area going forward:

Smart beta to top 2017 ETF trends

5. KDP

KDP Well-Known Member

Other thing I was wondering is if payout ratios have gone up in recent years. That would certainly distort the yield but otherwise I think it's a decent guide.

Nodrog likes this.
  6. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Yes, great point. However throughout history I don't think it's been uncommon for companies to try to support dividends through higher payout ratios at certain times. Historians might like to comment. That's why I said I don't apply the rules rigidly. You still need to consider the current environment. Some involvement of the little grey cells is recommended otherwise we have no edge over a simple computer algorythm. Ummmm, perhaps that's not a bad thing for some investors:rolleyes:. Maybe even for me:eek::D.

Last edited: 12th Jan, 2017
  7. RenegadeDom

RenegadeDom Well-Known Member

I've only recently started getting interested in shares (just happened to stumble across the LIC's thread) and now I'm hooked on learning everything there is to know about it all, seems like a great investment tool, one that I never gave much thought to previously. I'm up to date with this thread (albeit didn't understand everything lol) and now need to get through the LIC's one. Look forward to contributing when I can, will mostly be asking questions. Now off to buy Peter Thornhill's book :D

Anne11, Nodrog and pippen like this.
  8. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Last edited: 13th Jan, 2017
    Anne11 likes this.
  9. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Vanguard’s Total Stock Market Index (VTSMX) is up nearly 100% over the last 5 years and a lot more looking back further, there's always new highs being reached

B Vanguard.JPG

Looking at some of Vanguards funds on the ASX the last 3 months have had a good run and over the year VAS (ASX300) is up 15% with VTS, VGS, VEU all below that

I'll be adding some funds to laggards over the coming week

Compare3.JPG Compare1.JPG

scoobie27, Nodrog and Anne11 like this.
  10. Pier1

Pier1 Well-Known Member

Here is the rub with optimizing:
    "I am not buying, it is above my fandangle indictors it is over valued, have a look at the chart it shows how much it has grown already"
    upload_2017-1-14_8-22-24.png

"Wow, see I told you so, way over valued look at the fall on the chart, I am glad my fandangle indicators kept me out of it"
    upload_2017-1-14_8-24-28.png
    "Wow, those people who are buying that are idiots, look how over valued it is now"
    upload_2017-1-14_8-26-10.png
    "Wow they are idiots"
    upload_2017-1-14_8-27-1.png
    "Wow, what a bunch of idiots"
    upload_2017-1-14_8-27-54.png
    "Wow, I told you so"
    upload_2017-1-14_8-28-49.png
    "Poor bustards, look how much money they would have lost"
    upload_2017-1-14_8-29-56.png
    "No one in there right Mind should be investing in that, it could go all the way to zero, that is just a dead cat bounce"
    upload_2017-1-14_8-31-12.png

Anyway, I am sure you get the picture.
    I am not saying don't use your common sense when to buy and how much you buy. Just saying no one has any idea, all the charts in the world with all the indicators by there very nature are all backwards looking............

orangestreet, Redwing, Nodrog and 2 others like this.
  11. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

I've created this new thread as the discussion was taking the Thornhill thread off topic. I'll see if the existing posts can be moved to here. So please post any further discussion related to this topic here.

Thanks

pippen likes this.
  12. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

13. Anne11

Anne11 Well-Known Member

14. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

Ditto! Appreciate spreading the knowledge. Better find a vino and a comfy chair... reading to come :)

Nodrog likes this.
  15. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

He he, I don't think so. It gives me something to do in retirement when it's too hot / wet to get outside. As pointed out many times I'm just an amateur investor. If it helps others in some small way I'm genuinely thrilled.

PS: How's your ear after the recent phone call:D?

RetireRich101, Anne11 and MTR like this.
  16. Anne11

Anne11 Well-Known Member

Never had enough of investment talks @austing :)

I am patiently waiting for the next GFC :)

17. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

sharon, Redwing and Anne11 like this.
  18. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

19. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

In response to my post elsewhere:
    DCA is of course an excellent strategy for many investors. A different interpretation of what I meant however. In our case I'm convinced beyond all doubt that backing off from buying in extreme boom and buying with ears pinned back in extreme gloom has fast tracked our wealth creation significantly.

A very early retiree @keithj has a similar but little more extreme view to me as mentioned here:
    So I suppose you could say that there is at times an element of timing with @keithj and myself. No complicated charts or indicators though, just some very simple guides along with common sense. And no of course we don't ever expect to pick the bottom of the market or predict the future. But we are sensible enough to know those times when caution is needed and when great buying opportunities arise. We can only say what works for us regardless of all the theories out there for and against timing.

Importantly in my case it doesn't mean I don't buy in between these extremes (eg dips, NTA opportunities, discounted SPPs etc) but I certainly do take a different path once we enter extreme market conditions.

Last edited: 14th Jan, 2017
    Anne11 and Starbright like this.
  20. pippen

pippen Well-Known Member

Was this always your approach @austing since you began accumulating lic's ie, waiting for dips etc etc or were you in a different frame of mind in the early accumlation of shares phase where you were more focused on getting a certain amount of holdings in your chosen lic's and didnt totalled ignore prices but kept buying regardless?

Or was there a best of both worlds exercised with discipline and patience?!