Long Term Investing Valuation and Timing Strategies

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Nodrog, 2nd Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Interesting chart thanks @dunno. Where did you get it from if you don’t mind me asking?

Below the red line pretty much matches our opportunistic and steady accumulation over the years. Much of the time since the GFC has been pretty good for ASX Accumulation. The most recent push above the line also seems the match my lack of enthusiasm toward the market.

I’m hoping mean reversion / cycles will play out. Due to great ASX Accumulation opportunity post GFC we’re overweight same. So need to accumulate more International Equity going forward. US had their lost decade, AUS the opposite. Since GFC AUS has had it’s lost decade whilst the US has gone gangbusters. A reversion in the near future would suit us fine?

2. dunno

dunno Well-Known Member

Market Cap data from the ASX Site.
    GDP data from the ABS site.

ChrisP73, orangestreet and Nodrog like this.
  3. oracle

oracle Well-Known Member

How does this chart compare against long term market P/E ratio and Dividend Yield?

I normally keep it simple by getting greedy once market dividend yield is higher and P/E ratio is lower than long term average.

Cheers,
    Oracle.

ChrisP73 and Snowball like this.
  4. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Here’s div, P/E, earnings etc charts for comparison for those interested:

Market Statistics

I look at these occasionally but the GDP chart I found very interesting.

Froxy, TAJ and BuyersAgent like this.
  5. dunno

dunno Well-Known Member

The article where Buffett shone the spotlight on comparing market capitalisation to a countries economic performance.

Warren Buffett On The Stock Market What's in the future for investors--another roaring bull market or more upset stomach? Amazingly, the answer may come down to three simple factors. Here, the world's most celebrated investor talks about what really makes the market tick--and whether that ticking should make you nervous. - December 10, 2001

Nodrog likes this.
  6. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

Hey @Nodrog just wondering is there any current equivalent of Ashley Ormond's Fear Vs Greed Index still floating around? I have always loved long term log scales with long and short term trends on them. Shadow used to create one for Sydney property on the old forum which was great to see how things deviate from the long term trend then snap back eventually. Thanks.

Silverson likes this.
  7. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

No, not that I’m aware of.. He goes under the name of Ashley Owen now. You can find his articles etc at a few sights but this is probably the best:

You searched for Ashley Owen - Cuffelinks

BuyersAgent likes this.
  8. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

thanks

9. ChrisP73

ChrisP73 Well-Known Member

@dunno I don’t want to be a pest but do you happen to have an updated version of this chart that you would care to post?

10. ChrisP73

For those that havn’t come across John Hussman before his monthly market comment might be of interest.

Hussman

Quote from March 2019 comment

“One has to remember that the current market capitalization of U.S. corporate equities now stands at $40 trillion, twice the level of U.S. Gross Domestic Product – the highest multiple in history (the multiple peaked at 1.9 in 2000). “

Froxy likes this.
  11. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Anne11 likes this.
  12. ChrisP73

Hussman still forecasting a base case peak to trough for sp500 of 66% with low of roughly 1129. If that eventuates, this morning will have been the half way point in the decline.

Buckle up people and hold your nerve, manage your cash reserves and look after your health.

"From a full-cycle perspective, the decline in the U.S. stock market from its recent high remains something of a non-event, compared with the probable market loss over the completion of this cycle.

I continue to expect the S&P 500 to lose about two-thirds of its value from its recent high to the trough of the next bear market. As I’ve regularly observed, a decline of that magnitude would not be a worst-case scenario. Rather, it would merely draw S&P 500 valuations to historically run-of-the-mill valuation norms that have been observed over the completion of nearly every market cycle in history, with the exception of the 2002 low (which was later breached in 2009). Based on the valuation measures we find best-correlated with actual subsequent market returns across history, even a retreat to October 2002 valuations would require a market loss of over -50% from the recent peak.

To put run-of-the-mill historical valuation norms into perspective, a two-thirds loss in the S&P 500 Index from its February 19 high of 3386 would place the index at roughly 1129,"

Anne11 likes this.
  13. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

Wow that’s a big call. 66% and he said it’s not the worst case.
    Worse case is 100%. That’s my predication.

The Falcon and ChrisP73 like this.
  14. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Predication? Definition - "An act of proclaiming or preaching".

My prediction - if it goes down 100%, forum members will be buying up big time.

15. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

If it goes, 90% I will probably sell by IP to purchase S&P 509

16. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

If it goes to 90% I will probably sell my a## to purchase S&P500. :rolleyes:

Sackie, Snowball, sharon and 3 others like this.
  17. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Interesting piece by Nick Maggiulli

The Problem with Valuation

oracle likes this.
  18. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

My Favorite Investment Writing of 2023

asw1 and dunno like this.
  19. Intrigued_again

Intrigued_again Well-Known Member

I realise its an old post but here is Ashley Owen's latest not the old fear and greed unfortunately but there is talk of a new web site so lets hope he fires it up.

BuyersAgent and Nodrog like this.
  20. dunno

dunno Well-Known Member

The Corey Hoffstein linked article is very good.

Ps. I know the early bird gets f the worm, but 1:42am is taking it a bit far isn't it. Hope you are in another time zone enjoying a migration.

Nodrog and Hockey Monkey like this.