Long Settlement, anything to be aware of?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by MondeoMan, 8th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. MondeoMan

MondeoMan Well-Known Member

I have an opportunity to buy my first investment property today. It is "off market" but have been told if I match what I offered for next door (unsuccessfully) I can have it.

Only catch is that the owners aren't ready to move, they apparently saw the sale next door and thought if they could catch the under bidder they could have a no hassle sale.

They want settlement at the end of July... any issues to be aware of?

I have discovered I may have to hold off applying for finance because the valuation only lasts 3 months... anything else?

2. Simon Moore

Simon Moore Residential & Commercial Mortgage Broker Business Member

Level 2 287 Collins St Melbourne VIC 3000
    I have had NAB do 4 months from valuation to settlement before. But I haven't explored longer settlement than that before.

3. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Most lenders will allow it to go out to at least 6 months. I've seen some (off the plan) deals where settlement was 8 months after the finance was approved.

I've also seen vendors rent the property they sold because they're not quite ready to move.

4. Btaylor

Btaylor Well-Known Member

Maybe explore having the settlement earlier and renting it to the vendors until they're ready to move.

Chris Au and mikey7 like this.
  5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

just make sure you have 10% deposit and all good. If its in Melb, valuation should not be an issue.

6. Tifoso

Tifoso Well-Known Member

In Queensland (I see you're in Melb so possibly different, worth checking out), Stamp duty has to be paid within 5-6 weeks of contract date, nomatter what the settlement date. Your solicitor or conveyance team should be able to provide this info.

kierank likes this.
  7. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Totally agree.

@MondeoMan, you need to check out when S/D has to be paid. You wouldn't be the first one who had to pay it way before settlement.

8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

not so in Melb

kierank likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia