Education & Work Long service leave

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by jins13, 2nd Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Definitely give Pt Macq a miss for the time-being. There are plenty of regional areas that have a good feel to them no matter what the size. Sounds like you're ready for the move.
    Places to consider could be Townsville or even Cairns, Darwin -now that eveyone's moving out - Tassie, Adelaide or central west NSW - nothing like that Pt Macq description.
    Wherever, check it out to get a feel first. Where are your ips?

jins13 likes this.
  2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

When you've been stuck in regional area traffic like I have going to work its tough ... Getting the red light on the only set of lights in town is the closet thing to Sydney traffic!

jins13 likes this.
  3. bob shovel

And don't let you IP's hold you back. There's no need to be close. That's the PM's job to go round and give the tenants a hug

4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Peak hour in Hobart means you get to stop at the lights and there are two other cars stopped with you.

5. bob shovel

What are peoples thoughts on Bellingen?
    Where's the market at?
    Ip to ppor in mind.
    Would like to settle in somewhere similar, bush, community, close to big city/town with facilities not to far. And beach nearby

6. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Yeah Bellingen is beautiful. Last time I was there you wouldn't have said that it had many more facilities than running water and electricity. Guess it's changed a bit since then.
    Good pick for a ppor. No idea about ip.

7. bob shovel

Yeah that's what we're after!
    Pop is around 12k. And 30min from Coffs ticks the "business box"
    We haven't been through for about 5 years now

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

When did it get running water?

9. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

"Running water" at Bellingen is only just the river.

10. Mooze

Mooze Well-Known Member

Bello is lovely - nice alternate little community. Be aware of flood areas (and how it would impact access to your property or business), and also mosquito areas.
    Great kayaking, close to Coffs and its services.

Most people from that village are either generationals or moved there specifically for the alternate lifestyle. Keep in mind that if the council amalgamations go through it would become part of Coffs council.

If you're looking specifically at North coast have a look at the NSW Govt growth plans for the area - these give you an idea of not only what services etc are in a town now, but what the population and services are expected to be down the track.

WattleIdo likes this.
  11. jrc

jrc Well-Known Member

When they finish the freeway to Coffs, Coffs will boom. Even now people from Kempsey shop at Coffs in preference to Port Macquarie. I think one of the earlier posters was a bit harsh on the coffee and schooling in Port, although I agreewith most of their other comments. Though last time I was in Sydney on a Saturday afternoon stuck in very slow moving traffic, I question their meaning of fast pace.

Tamworth, Dubbo, Griffith, Wagga and Albury all have things going for them.

WattleIdo likes this.
  12. Dylan33

Dylan33 Well-Known Member

I moved from Sydney in 90 to port macquarie. Was there 10 years. Found it very difficult for work and small business. A lot of people came up from the Central coast because it was getting crowded down there and by 2000 PM was getting like the central coast. Too many retirees and drifters to make any small business work and that's what a lot of people do. Come up and buy themselves a job.
    I moved out in 2000. Went to a small town in the upper Hunter. Now I'm sick of this place so we're off to Hobart next. We go down 3 or 4 times a year and love it there. It's the only capital city left in the country where you can buy a decent solid home within 10 minutes of the CBD for a realistic price.
    So I wouldn't bother with east coast medium size towns, they're all the same. Though I still have a IP in PM which is doing ok.

Lizzie likes this.
  13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I'd move to Tassie in a heartbeat ... but I am a Kiwi so the climate is similar

14. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Just an update, being considered for a role in Canberra but need to pass the panel interview and appease the panel.

Mooze likes this.
  15. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

All the best.

I guess you have to appease the panel at home as well.

I hope you've been to Canberra in the winter.

jins13 likes this.
  16. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Purely from a financial perspective, the only place id consider selling sydney ( not suggesting you should do that) is brisbane. ..only because the growth path is strong for its size. We have all seen what growth and size combined together does ( syd and mel 2-3 years ago).
    Brisbane is the biggest growth matket out theer in this cycle. ...again purely from a financial perspective.

jins13 likes this.