Logistics of Debt Recycling

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Jmillar, 22nd Jul, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jmillar

Jmillar Well-Known Member

I currently have a PPOR debt of $950k and I've checked with my bank (Firstmac) who allow me to split loans for a fee of only $100 per application which seems reasonable. (I can apply for 3 or 4 splits in one application and it would be $100 total - but would try keep only one split to keep things simple). I can also do loan limit adjustments (4 per year free, then $50 each).

My plan moving forward is to debt recycle to buy shares and IPs.

My question is around the logistics of how I do it to ensure the newly split loan/s are deductible and I'm not jeopardising that.

Say for eg I currently have:
    PPOR loan $950k
    Cash in offset $80k

Could I do the following:
    - Split PPOR loan into $750k (non-deductible) and $200k (to be used for investment only)
    - Transfer say $50k cash into $200k loan. Withdraw/redraw it the following day to lend to my trust which buys shares/property
    - In 1 month, I receive say $100k from selling a property. $100k goes into $200k loan, then next day loaned to trust to invest
    - 1 month later, $50k savings go into $200k loan and then loaned to trust to invest
    (I'm now maxing out my $200k loan)
    - Apply to increase $200k split to $300k
    - Transfer another $100k savings into the split loan over a few separate transactions and redraw to loan to investment trust (now $300k fully maxed)
    - Keep increasing limit until the whole loan is deductible

I'm guessing the above is OK assuming when funds are withdrawn from the split loan, they are only used for investment purposes/loaned to trust for investment purposes (interest to be paid on loan to trust).

Am I missing anything?

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

what does your tax adviser say?

If you do it that way you would have a mixed $200k loan and you would be reducing deductible debt. You would need to pay the whole split down in one hit to avoid this.

If you are the trustee of 'your' trust you cannot lend to yourself at law.

3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I currently have a PPOR debt of $950k ..

That doesnt mean its deductible does it?

4. Jmillar

Ahh I see what you mean. When I'm only paying down part of a split, the remaining portion is non deductible still. So I'd have to create a split of say $50k, pay it down in full then lend to trust. Then for the next $100k I'd have to create a new split loan, pay it down in full then lend to trust. Etc etc. So I'd end up with multiple splits but I guess when I refinance I could combine the deductible splits into one split.

New trust set up has corporate trustee

5. Terry_w

You really only need perhaps 3 splits
    You can combine them once used.
    So one for the main non-deductible, one for the ivnestment split, one for the new investment split
    then combine the investments and add a new investment split
    then combine
    etc
    otherwise you could end up with 100 splits after a few years.

craigc and Jmillar like this.
  6. Jmillar

Thanks Terry, makes sense.

7. Jmillar

Okay, last question (for now).

Makes sense that you have to pay down the split in one go. But you don't have to redraw it out of the account in one go, right?

So I could create a $50k split, pay it down in full in one go, then withdraw $10k at a time to loan to my investment trust?

8. Terry_w

Yes that is right, It is like using a LOC in stages

Jmillar likes this.
  9. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

As and aside

Combining with almost all lenders is a new app,a dn with some lenders even splitting down is an app :(............which is why we love our AMP and Global/Master Limits.

ta
    rolf

Terry_w likes this.
  10. Hosko

Hosko Well-Known Member

What is the outcome if you set up a single split but it's a LOC but you keep increasing the limit over time as more funds become available?
    Would this work at all?

11. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Need 2 sep splits ideally.........one for non ded, the other for Investment, and with a Global/Master limit, where you can vary the splits without a new App.

Locs are mostly IO for 10 years and in some cases evergreen IO for 30 years.

STG Portffolio, WBC EAL2, and a few others are ideal if one wants to take the punt with hard/reslient debt where there are "repayable on demand" clauses.

Most of my clients dont have the stomach for that, especially in the current flux.

Any increase in overall loan limit with any facility needs a new app and needs to meet servicing and equity position

ta
    rolf

Hosko likes this.
  12. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Agree nobody wants 100 splits but always understand that if ANY property use changes (ie Ip stops being a IP, or a sale etc) then you may need to resplit that loan out prior to that event.

Terry_w likes this.

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.