QLD Logan- what are the negatives

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by New2prop, 21st Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Agree I think you want to try and find a suburb that has a good balance of owner occupiers and investors that's how you get the ones that are going to gentrify and be renovated and increase in value I cannot see much happening to change Logan for the better for quite some time because there are so many renters.
    A suburb like Stafford Heights on the other hand I can see big renovation going on and the whole face of the suburb is changing as people do up the post-wars there. There's plenty of other suburbs like that too. Zillmere is another good example of a gentrifying suburb. Of course you're not going to get the yield that you will in budget renters suburbs though but the suburb will go somewhere demographically.

Codie likes this.
  2. sash

sash Well-Known Member

There is a balance and some better parts of Logan and places in Moreton Bay shire offer opportunities. Too many inexperienced investors are being led by the pied piper of Hamburg.

Ekin200 and Whitecat like this.
  3. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

The legend goes back in time too the town of Hamelin Germany for the pied piper maybe the piper from Hamburg was his brother ..

Frazz and Whitecat like this.
  4. sash

sash Well-Known Member

ok does hamelin have river or port for the rats to jump off.

5. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

We bought 7 properties in Logan in around 2001 . At the time we bought , many people ridiculed our decision , but despite all the negatives , Logan performed well and we did very well out of it . I see no reason why it will change .

There are always reasons not to buy properties or buy in certain areas .

We looked at Logan this cycle , but it had already started moving so we bought in Goodna , but I expect people who buy in Logan will do well .

Cliff

Frazz and RetireRich101 like this.
  6. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Last time we were there it did ,plus it has one of the best high speed roads from Hamelin to Bloomberg through the forests in Germany..

7. Whitecat

I would be putting any proposed Logan money into Inala :)
    Cheap but still in the BCC.
    Not so far away. About half as far as Logan
    Safer

Inala is better positioned for gentrification is my feeling. Logan is increasing in PH. And Inala is attractive to Asian money. Its an Asian suburb.

I have zero financial interest in Inala. I did almost buy there 10 years ago and know the place.

604m2 for $319K (not recommending necessarily I didn't even look at the photos)
    14 Wedgetail Street Inala Qld 4077 - House for Sale #124471722 - realestate.com.au

Maybe go a bit higher and get something walking distance to the next Sunnybank plaza (Inala Square)

Now lets watch Inala pump when we start the Inala thread...

8. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

Same way as woodridge is just a suburb of Logan, Vietnam is just a country of Asia

9. Whitecat

This is too subtle for me gach. Could you please explain?

10. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Sunnybank is the equivalent to Sydney's Cabramatta I believe.

11. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

I like we need to differentiate what and where we are talking about when the word 'Logan' is used. Woodridge, Kingston and Logan Central are really in their own category IMO. Then there are surburbs like Crestmead and Browns Plains. Daisy Hill is a step up again.

Eastern side of the motorway there are some nice suburbs with plenty of acreage lifestyle properties. Not investor type houses.
    Both these suburbs are not low socio-economic areas.

25 Solway Crescent Carbrook Qld 4130 25 Solway Crescent Carbrook Qld 4130 - House for Sale #123554198 - realestate.com.au

33 Cooberrie Street Cornubia Qld 4130 33 Cooberrie Street Cornubia Qld 4130 - House for Sale #123950962 - realestate.com.au

Last edited: 15th Feb, 2017
  12. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

Interesting observation when we're talking about vacancy rates...

If we look at Wavell Heights according to SQM vacancy rates it's 3.6%..higher than most Logan suburbs..

At least WH had a good capital growth in the last 3 years, to balance out this average higher than Brisbane average vacancy rate

However as for inner south suburbs such as Moorooka and Annerlery the vacancy rate is high and the Apartment capital growth is an average 2-3% PER YEAR growth in the last 3 years... Unit and Apartments in these suburbs are the place I should AVOID, but houses are good.

Moorooka vacancy rate 3.7%,
    Annerley vacancy 3.5%

13. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

According to SQM, these are vacancy rate for random Logan City suburbs...
    Source: SQM Research

LOGAN CITY Vacancy Rate ( Feb 2017 )
    ===================================
    Loganlea / Meadowbrook 2.5%
    Marsden / Crestmead 3%
    Shailer Park 2.8%
    Kingston, Logan Central, Woodridge 2.7%
    Underwood 3.9%
    Rochedale South 2.7%
    Springwood / Daisy hill/ Slacks Creek 2.9%
    Browns Plain / Hillcrest / Regents Park 2.6%
    Beenleigh 3.4%
    Loganholme 1.2%
    Waterford / Chamber Flat 3.6%
    Eagleby 3.4%
    Yatala 3.4%

What exactly is the problem here?
    Are we saying the entire Brisbane suburbs are trending downwards for vacancy, while Logan City suburbs are trending upwards?

Care to show few example suburbs via SQM or your preferred stat portal info..?

bob shovel likes this.
  14. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

I do not think Inala is attractive to Asian money (unlike Sunnybank/CBD/Gold coast). From most of the businesses i see the main asian demographics in Inala is Vietnamese while in Sunnybank it is Chinese and malaysian/singaporean (chinese) and hong kong . Big difference in cultures as lot of the second are influenced (or directly) with money from back home, while Vietnamese (some do get influenced from home sourced) have mainly made their money in Australia.

Inala is comparable to Cabramatta while Sunnybank is more like Eastwood/Hurstville.
    Sunnybank is one of the only places to get a feed (outside the CBD) in brisbane after 8 30 :p

Jack Chen, RetireRich101 and HUGH72 like this.
  15. Spoony

Spoony Well-Known Member

Going by some comments on the last few pages, seems every page about 'Logan' people have to reminded its a city bound by Brisbane, Ipswich and the Gold Coast containing of over 300,000 people, not a couple of suburbs (Woodridge etc). It's fairly diverse in property options too.

On the topic of Asian money, I have noticed on the ground, more and more shops showing up in Woodridge/Logan Central area (I drive through there to get to work) that are Chinese. Long term........... the next Sunnybank?

RetireRich, good points on the vacancy rates. These seem decent still many parts of Logan. I started looking north, Kallangur etc, and the already poor and rising vacancy rates have put me off, especially with more new stock/land likely to come on-line up that way too.

16. smooth excellence

smooth excellence Well-Known Member

4131 seems to have similar rents to Sunnybank now.

SQM Research - Weekly Rents

I agree, seems like only places open after 9pm outside the CBD is in Sunnybank no?

17. radioactive

radioactive Well-Known Member

Thought I would link this to this thread.
    Belivah,QLD-Potential Investment Location?
    I hear that windaroo and belivah are very OO suburbs.

Last edited: 12th Oct, 2019

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF