Logan Council Rates

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Alain, 17th Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Alain

Alain Well-Known Member

Anyone been hit with the council rate increase? as someone from Sydney i can't believe how much the council takes, yes i know they include water, sewage, rubbish etc.. but the rates have gone from approximately $700 per quarter to $900 per quarter. It's starting to hurt my cash flow, hopefully Logan will start to see some capital growth

2. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

if it is around $900 per quarter equals to $3600 that is very high

here is a comparision : -

property in UK (2 bedroom at Shoreditch) - is only getting charged 1300 pounds odd council tax rates which is $2200 per year. One would presume that London is one of the most expensive cities in the world.

3 bed apartment in Melbourne which has security guards (7pm to 7am) - 365 days a year, security access, swimming pool, gym, cleaners for common areas(365 days a year), building manager, walking distance to CBD, insurance coverage for the body coporate/owners corp at $3300 per year. Rental at $700 per week.

3. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

We just got our rates today in the mail and they've increased by $20-$30 on the Southside. My land values were the same.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Council rates are on top of the strata levies notes above.

5. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

yes u are correct - $1200 per year council + $3300 per year =$3500 but you minus off building insurance ($960) = $3540 (just a slight $60 down) :)

Tanya1335 likes this.
  6. sash

sash Well-Known Member

That is insane! Wow...that is 3600 down the drain....Qld is expensive.

From memory...Moreton Bays rates are about 750pq..is think that is too high...BCC is much better its about 525pq...but that was for units.

I prefer Victoria which is about 500-550pq for houses (water service charges and council)

7. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

You must compare like with like.

BCC may be cheaper but does not include water.
    Marg

RetireRich101 likes this.
  8. Tanya1335

Tanya1335 Well-Known Member

Agree, our rates in Qld ($3600 / year) are just getting out of control, especially when compared to NSW central coast ($1500 plus water)

EN710 likes this.
  9. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

I just looked at ours in Wishart (BCC) they're about $500/quarter. Doesn't make sense that Logan is so much more. I think our rates for our property in Everton Hills (Moreton Bay) are about the same.

10. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

why would anyone compare rates detached house with a strata complex
    How much is BCC/Moreton Bay when you add the Council rate + water service/usage?

11. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

I think the OP must be confused or the property includes a lot of land.

He also states the rates include water and poo removal. Not so in Brisbane, I suspect Bogan is the same.

12. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

Oh, I guess it's about the same. We haven't received water rates for Wishart yet, but Everton Hills is about $300.

13. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

Here I show you my latest Rate notice for a property in Logan, about 650m2.
    To compare apples to apples, you deduct the water/sewerage
    818.93 - 349.43 = 469.10

So it's about 1800-1900 per year for the rate notice. The OP may have a bigger land component.

I believe the rates are similar across Logan, Ipswich, BCC, Moreton council.
    The water and wastewater charge of 349.43 includes tenant water usage that can passed on tenant if water cert is provided.

upload_2017-7-17_20-43-14.png

bamp likes this.
  14. sash

sash Well-Known Member

includes both council 275pq...water 250pq. remember ot is a unit

15. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

In the BCC area, your basic rate charge is made from your ARV which is an Average rateable valuation. (AVR almost differs in every suburb)This value does not include structural eg. house or shed.
    BCC averages your last 3 land values and the values are even listed on your rates notice.
    They use this value and the rating category to come to a partly final figure of payable rates.
    Then depending on your local council you get a few other sneaky fees like waste management, Enviro levies charges and so on, all calculated from a percentage of your ARV.
    Emergency Management, Fire and Rescue Levy fee, I think is a fixed rate added to everyone

Water and sewerage charges will be shown on a separate water and sewerage account issued by Urban utilities.

16. magyar

magyar Well-Known Member

Our rates were $1040 pq in Logan. $350 was for water which isn't too bad considering I half filled a pool and a hot tub.

17. Alain

Alain Well-Known Member

I own a unit.
    I'm at work now but going to have a look at the rates notice tonight and give council a call to see why it's so much. Some other property investors have told me that Logan council do make investors pay more than locals.

18. Pentanol

Pentanol Well-Known Member

Haha when I got my rates notice I was actually expecting someone to complain it here! Yeah its pretty crazy how expensive it is. The previous owner occupier were on pension and they got a discount and still paid around ~$700pq. Still CF+ though. Six months lease so may increase my rent again.

19. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

BCC is cheaper than Redlands

But they are all insane with the water charges, so much water up there.

20. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Ignorance? Need something to whinge about?

Units are generally subject to the minimum charge for rates (in NSW), likewise all properties in Sydney Water areas get hit with a base charge plus usage for sewer and water.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia