Logan Council asked me to build a new driveway

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Jmillar, 16th Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jmillar

Jmillar Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I had a call from Logan council last week as a fence is leaning at one of my properties. He also said I need to build a new driveway to council codes.

The fence will be rectified asap. However I'm wondering if I do in fact have to build a new driveway. It's a house I bought a couple years ago, probably built in the 1980s.

Has anyone had to do this before? Can council force me to do it?

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Is this the crossover, or driveway on your own property?

What is wrong with the current driveway?

3. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

Are you sure it was the council?

4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Council would usually write a letter or email rather than call.

5. Jmillar

Yes it was council. They thought I was the property manager for some reason.

He was a bit vague, I think it's actually the crossover he wants fixed. Its current just some crushed rocks sitting there, and cars have to drive up over the gutter.

I counted 8 other properties on the street (not a big street) that are the exact same.

6. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

something doesn't add up here ?
    are you saying that to gain access to your property you have to mount the kerb, and there is NO crossover currently in place ?

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

That is what I got too.

If the OP wants access to their property, then they are required to put in a crossover. Council may force your hand on this by charging to repair the kerb if it gets damaged.

Last edited: 17th Mar, 2019
  8. Jmillar

See attached image showing how it's currently set up. I don't doubt it's not to code if I was to build a new house or lodge a DA, but can they force me to upgrade it if I bought the property as it is?

[​IMG]

9. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I believe they can if that is the only driveway for the property.
    It will also stop people parking in front of it as it makes it clear it's a driveway.

10. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

We have those drove-over kerbs in our street, suburb Brisbane southside. We cut into it to make a proper driveway about 7 years ago. Many in our street haven’t.

If it is essential, I would expect Logan Council to issue an official direction, in writing, setting out exactly what is required.

The last thing you want or need is to make alterations, then find out they don’t meet official requirements.
    Marg

Rich2011 and Joynz like this.
  11. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

You're gonna need a new fence soon too. Start saving :p

12. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I dont know about Logan council specifically, but in general councils eventually get around to tidying up their suburbs. What was not an issue when you bought the property may become a new issue this year if it is something they are implementing. It's just the crossover I would imagine - not too costly. I doubt they can demand you concrete a driveway on your own land.

PS that gravel can cause nasty injuries when individual pieces get flung around by the lawn mower. I copped it once (on private property) and it took seven months to regain the use of my right hand after the stone severed two or three tendons that regulate the fingers.

13. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Pictures paint a thousand words. The fence is dilapidated and a hazard. The cutover and driveway arent compliant and they can enforce the requirement for the area between the cutover and also the crossing up to where your land commences at the gate.

When you buy a property you acquire responsibility for all defects too. The requirements are pretty clear and available online for the public to understand. These guide the standards that must be met so that council officers can approve the application for works.
    Driveways & Crossovers - Logan City Council

If there is an alternative driveway a clean up and removal of the gravel and the access gate and new turf etc may avoid the extra cost.

mikey7 and bmc like this.
  14. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

there you go @Jmillar the research has been done for you. Now you just have to front up to council and find out your obligations.

15. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

Lol @ the stick propping up the fence!

I'd would fix the fence, like now. That's a lawsuit waiting to happen. As for the crossover I wouldn't do a thing until you have something in writing from the council with the exact specs and requirements. Otherwise you might a) do something you don't need to or b) do it to the wrong spec and have to do it all over again

mikey7 and Beano like this.
  16. Jmillar

Thanks all for your help.

I wasn't aware of the fence issue until he called, and I have asked my PM to fix it immediately.