Location: Within 20 minutes drive from Westmead. Price: max 1.3mil. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Belcanto, 12th Aug, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Belcanto

Belcanto New Member

Hi all,

Looking to buy a PPOR near Westmead as hubby and I both work there. Max budget 1.3 million.
    We are currently renting in Constitution Hill and really enjoy living here.
    From an investment perspective, what would be a good suburb to buy a four-bedroom house (minimum block size 600 m²)?
    Is this a good time to buy?

Thanks in advance!

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Hiya

welcome to PC

Cant comment on Suburbs, but we have seen some strong enquiry on property that clients have been looking to buy, and a decent response to auctions. LOTS of peops at open houses.

Have we seen the bottom of the current downturn ? Dunno, but certainly the rate of price decay seems to have slowed a lot in many burbs, but is also dependent on stock type.

ta
    rolf

3. Shahin_Afarin

Shahin_Afarin Residential and Commercial Broker Business Member

Constitution Hill is the more expensive part of Wenty as it borders Northmead - streets are noticeably nicer too.

I think its a pretty safe suburb from an investment perspective - the only worry would be the amount of supply coming from Baulkham Hills.

If you can stretch your budget slightly I prefer somewhere like Beecroft from a PPOR perspective.

Hayes likes this.
  4. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I live in Carlingford and I'd recommend it. You can a decent place for that sort of money here, or a pretty amazing place, if you don't mind high voltage powerlines close by (that's what I did, though I paid half of your budget five years ago).

Hamish Blair likes this.
  5. Hayes

Hayes Well-Known Member

You can pick up good houses in northmead for around 900k, have even seen some as low as 800k. I have lived there all my life and I know that northmead will pick up again. Before the drop properties were up at 1mil+.

Northmead has easy access to westmead hospital as well as parramatta and Castle hill shopping centre.

Would definetly be my suggestion.

6. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

What are schools like around Northmead?

7. Hayes

Hayes Well-Known Member

Schools are fairly decent, northmead high is a performing arts. Depending if interested in catholic schools they have access to st monicas for primary and parramatta marist for highschool.

Between myself and my siblings we attended all of these schools and did fairly well considering.

I don't have kids so haven't looked too much into it, I know winston hills has access to some really good skills also.

I would recommend looking into them. Great owner occupier areas with a wonderful and supportive local community.

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Also OLMC in Parramatta or St Benedict's at Pennant Hills.

9. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Much depends on your other criteria so difficult to answer here:
    Must it be a freestanding house or would you be ok with a duplex?
    Single level or two/three storey?
    4 beds 2 baths minimum size?
    Car accommodation needs?
    Renovated a must or are you willing to undertake work?
    Quiet st a must or would you consider busier roads? (eg: North Rocks Rd)
    Do you need to be in particular school catchment areas? (this will impact significantly)
    600sqm a must or is it just a backyard that's important?
    Pool or no pool?
    Do you have an aversion to bushland/power lines/lowset valley positions?
    Proximity needs to public transport?

We work in these areas and have done so for buyers for almost 14 years now, and know them very well. If you have to be within 20 mins driving of Westmead, and are looking for suburbs that are likely to resell well and are attractive to home owners I'd be considering Winston Hills, Constitution Hill, North Rocks, Baulkham Hills (though it will depend on what part here as it's a large suburb) Oatlands, parts of Northmead and Carlingford. @Shahin_Afarin mentioned Beecroft but it is getting further away, and realistically going from even the borders of Carlingford and Beecroft is closer to 30mins to Westmead, not 20mins.

As @Rolf Latham has said, however, the market has definitely shifted since the beginning of this year and there simply isn't enough well priced stock to meet demand. If you do find something that suits, you may need to move quickly to secure, depending on location, property and price. Best of luck with your search :)

10. Mel_C

Mel_C Well-Known Member

I was working at Westmead and living at Telopea ( the nice part close to Oatlands) . It only took me 10/15 min to drive down pennant hills rd. I really liked Oatlands and the nice parts of telopea and north rocks. Quiet and nice bushy outlook. Good schools if you need. Winston Hills would also be good with the Tway buses.

11. Someguy

Someguy Well-Known Member

Primary school is good but nowhere near the popularity of school in seven hills side of Baulkham Hills or north rocks or carlingford schools. The high school is a performing arts school so don’t expect top naplan or UAI!?(TER I cant keep track of what it is) rankings.