local broker vs online

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Mintle, 30th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mintle

Mintle Member

Hi all,

I'm based in Townsville and the stories I've heard about some of the local brokers leave a lot to be desired, so I'm considering using a broker who posts on this forum. Are there any problems with using a broker that is not local, and dealing with them purely via phone/email? I would normally prefer a face to face, but would rather use a broker with good recommendations than take a shot with an unknown.

My next few purchases will likely be in North Queensland so it would be nice to have a broker with knowledge of the area, but I think it would be more important to have someone that can help align my finance structure with my goals.

Can anyone make any recommendations?

2. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

I use @Corey Batt who is in Adelaide and I am in Sydney, everything is done via email or phone, has worked very well for me.

3. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Kinnon Bell is a Cairns based broker - maybe give her a ring :)

4. No Probs

No Probs Well-Known Member

i was also unsure weather or not to use a local broker or someone remote. After reading up different advice from different brokers on somersoft I decided to give @Jamie Moore a call and have never looked back. Easy to send all required information via email, and he's just a phone call away. No need to use a local broker.

KayTea likes this.
  5. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Just to show you how easy it is Jamie moore wrote up a loan for me while holidaying in Europe. Everything done via email.

If I had to pick a broker from my local area I'd be in big trouble.

6. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

My broker isn't local. No reason you need face to face time with your broker IMO. Emails save time, make things clear and can be reviewed when I forget things.

Jess Peletier likes this.
  7. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

I used the best broker I could find, not the closest. Internet + phone = all you need.

8. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Who talks to anyone anymore? We are all online all the time

9. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Thinking about it, I reckon I've had face-to-face meetings with maybe 10% of my clients :)

Skype. Love it.

10. TheSackedWiggle

TheSackedWiggle Well-Known Member

@Jamie Moore is a Phantom, You may not see the GHOST but will have the confidence that your interest is safe guarded.

Jamie Moore and Terry_w like this.
  11. SonOfTrigger

SonOfTrigger Well-Known Member

I've had good and bad experiences both ways - most of the bad from somersoft posters funnily enough. My current guy is local to me, not on this website, but I never need to see him face to face.

Crido likes this.
  12. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Good idea, nice one for recommending another broker.

13. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

Best to have a knowledgeable broker over a dud one definitely - if they're local, thats always a bonus. With Jess P, if Kinnon's local give her a buzz.

14. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Hiya - Kinnon is based up in north QLD and will do a good job.

Thanks for the wraps guys :) Haha - phantom comment was amazing!

Cheers

Jamie

15. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

It's always best is you can see people face to face. A lot more comes out in these meetings than you can realistically get over the phone and email.

Unfortunately it can be tough to find great people outside of the larger cities. It is better to go with someone remotely if they really know their stuff.

Kinnon does know her stuff and Cairns is about as close as you can get. It would be very worthwhile giving her a call. 0488 448 845.

16. Mintle

Mintle Member

Thanks everyone for your comments. I've decided to contact a broker who's on here and has a good rep - much better than taking a punt with someone local that I've heard nothing about. Looking forward to seeing how it all goes.

17. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Did you end up getting in contact with Kinnon?
    Some good recommendations here from other brokers, good on you guys.

18. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Yes a dud broker is an issue...and based on the some of the advice provided by some of the brokers on this forum from people who have PM'd me over the last 2 motnhs... I am actually stunned as to whether they had the client interests at heart.

The classic one is a particular broker who is down right rude to clients...I let you figure this one out.

Now before anyone jumps down my throats...a word of advice....bad service actually gets talked about boys and girls. Lift your game!! By the way I not referring to all brokers just some of lets say shysters out there.

Crido and wombat777 like this.
  19. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Well, I think some brokers are stuck in the past, we used to always do meet ups, now, I am lucky if I can get email or phone replies.....in other words, if starting now, i would use someone used to e-mail and phone & makes themselves available and is up to date with all goings on such as most on this forum seem to be.

I would also probably tend to go to people growing the business and hungry to grow or really like helping others.

20. Mintle

Mintle Member

Thanks everyone for your comments. I haven't been in touch with Kinnon but I did choose another broker on here that a number of members speak highly of. They're not local, so looks like phone/email is the go.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia