Lobby Groups

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Zoolander, 1st May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Zoolander

Zoolander Well-Known Member

Hi all,

The back and forth banter in the news about different parties including Property Council having their own "__ point plan" to address housing affordability got me thinking about lobby groups, and how they influence decisionmaking, where they sit in the wider ecosystem, do they have an unfair advantage compared to the average Joe?

Frankly, I know jack all about this stuff and want to get the views of those who work more closely, or have been involved in lobbying in property, how it works, who's involved, and how things could play out in the context of the May budget announcement.

2. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Just look how the American system is run which rely heavily on lobbying and the associated bribes I mean donations to political parties to influence (control) policy decisions.

Cant see why it would be any different in Australia but maybe Im just a cynic.

3. Zoolander

Zoolander Well-Known Member

It's easy to let imaginations run wild in terms of how much control lobby groups have on policy making.

My uninformed vision/assumption is one of many groups (banking, developers, REAs) having a tight leash and cautioning any changes which may reduce the appeal of property as an investment, drop prices, or slow down developments. Sure, throw out some feel-good initiatives to get people looking one way and nodding, like fencing off some units for first home owners, or helping them be more financial responsible and save, or throw grant money at them but ultimately keep things rosey for the industry, and keep prices high. I feel this makes sense, but the kicker is that it could be completely inaccurate to what goes on. Won't know until a poster with experience and history chimes in.

I came across this article which explains things broadly, if anyone's interested in the topic too:
    Lobbying 101: how interest groups influence politicians and the public to get what they want

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

First up, I thought this was about house design ... you know those little spaces near the front and back doors which are useless for anything and are typically called a "lobby" ? :p

Also, I did have someone suggest back in the SS days that we should start our own lobby group - but it's not something I really have time for, nor the inclination to get involved in right now.

5. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Sure Sim, let's create a lobby group that requires all members, irrespective of whether they are newbies, investors, speculators, builders, demolishers, property journalists, burnout enthusiasts, kleptomaniacs, IT people, mansplainers, solicitors, mortgage brokers, strata managers and other miscellaneous enthusiasts, all of whom are posters on your good forum, (and maybe some Cookie Jam and Midnight Oil fans...) to chuck a few bucks into the kitty for the "Investment Education for the PChat Future Retirement That Can't Come Too Soon Forum".

The Brave New World awaits...