Loans all with one bank or not

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Judi, 9th May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Judi

Judi Well-Known Member

Dear forum, I am doing some planning for structuring my loans at the moment. I want my loans across a couple or a few banks, at least not all loans with one bank. It is only an instinct, to not keep all eggs in one basket, not based on reason.

Can anyone suggest a few reasons why one shouldn't keep all loans with one bank ?

Thank you

2. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Cross securitisation is an issue, although it can be avoided even when all loans are with the one lender.
    However the 'All Monies Clause' is the issue

3. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Keeping things separate is a useful risk management tool. A bank that holds all your properties and loans is holding all the cards. If things go badly everything is exposed.

There's lots of legitimate reasons why portofiols tend to graviate towards a single lender, but if you can diverisfy across several lenders I'd say that's preferental.

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

There can be issues with more than one lender if that lender policies imapct borrowing. eg STG bank decides no equity outs. However that property is mortgaged with STG while another is with NAB. This may encourage refinance to NAB with costs, fees etc. Can also be one bank issues where they may just say no and offer no concessions on rate etc. Minor fee concessions can occur with same bank eg One $395pa fee etc. Perhaps even competitive pricing based on total lending.

Definately a issue to make your broker aware of to limit such issues as crossed loans and all monies clauses

Judi likes this.
  5. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

depends a little on number of properties and total aggregate exposure as well.

> 2 to 3 mill with some lenders lands you in a higher level of credit overview which may not be desirable where any future applications arent very well within that lenders policy framework.

ta
    rolf

Judi likes this.
  6. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I have written some legal and loan tips on this before on the forum

generally with the same lender is preferred for retirement planning as it is easier to swap securities which can help with social security law and selling but keeping loans open. But the all monies clause means this is a higher risk

Judi likes this.
  7. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

You can avoid cross coll whilst having all loans with one lender.

If your properties are sub 80% LVR - it's also easy enough to refinance a property to another lender down the track (if you choose to).

Having multiple loans with one lender can also result in a bigger rate discount across your portfolio and a reduction in ongoing fees (you might have one annual fee - rather than multiple across numerous lenders for instance).

There's also nothing wrong with spreading the love among multiple banks if that's the path you choose - it all comes down to the individuals needs.

Cheers

Jamie

Judi likes this.
  8. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Many have loans across different lenders due to cashback deals, fixed loans which are left alone, difficulties with refinance v a new loan etc

All in the days life of a broker to consider. Worst outcome seems to be those who DIY loans then post here about how to fix what could have been avoided in the first place by not DIYing. Often because they need fast action now...Pay for it later ?

9. Ruby Tuesday

Ruby Tuesday Well-Known Member

This is not my experience, even with loans less than 40% LVR and the further you go down the track the more difficult it can become. If you have all your loans with one bank they can have you by the short and curlies,and not give you any discounts. I have found circumstances that allow refinance only happen on average about once every five years.. I have found with two banks one will be encouraging me to move my other loans with incentives. I would never have all my loans with one bank again, especially with falling or stagnant property values , bear sharemarket, rising interest rates and living expenses. Dont understand what the issue is with security substitution is, done it multiple times with multiple banks with out issue. I think it is probably easier rotating banks, than doing it more often with the same bank because the longer the gap the lower the LVR, and different banks are more co-operative at different times.

10. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I have to say that I don't agree that cross collateralisation is inherently bad. It definitely can be, but that isn't always the case.

11. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I agree, but in 99% of cases it's not necessary and brings no benefit, so why risk it?

12. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Cross coll is never a problem ...............until its a problem, and very rarely is there a benefit for the borrower for same in resi circumstances.

Have seen clients lose businesses and properties as a result, so my perspective comes from when cross coll does become an issue.

Of course we would prefer to do ONE loan app and ONE set of compliance for say a 5 property refi, and save us lots of time, but its simply not best business practice, and I would argue under Borrower Best Interest Duty is a very murky place.

ta

rolf