Loan to my company - which way to go?

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Morriz, 19th Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Morriz

Morriz New Member

I have set up a new Pty Ltd company and am looking to loan the company funds to allow it to purchase stock for resale.

The two options I'm considering are:

1. Loan funds with no interest payable to the company from my savings (which is an offset account linked to my PPOR home loan);
    • Assuming I loan $100k, this will mean the interest I incur on my PPOR home loan will increase by $4,000pa (interest rate @ 4%).
    OR

2. Create a new $100k split on my PPOR home loan, transfer the $100k into the split and then redraw the funds to the company as a new loan. The company would be charged interest at the same rate as being incurred on the home loan being 4%.
    • The company would pay me $4k interest over a year & I would claim the $4k interest incurred on the loan split
    • Company would deduct the interest reducing the taxable income
    Assuming the company makes a $40k gross profit and pays tax at the 27.5% option 1 would see the tax bill at $11k.
    For option 2, the tax would be slightly less at $9,900 as the loan interest would be deductible.

Am I right in my thinking or am I completely off track or missing something?

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Seems correct to me.

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Yeah I would go the second option.
    But is it an arm's length agreement if the bank has a first mortgage over real property and you have no security for your loan?

4. Morriz

Morriz New Member

Is it ever an arms length agreement if an individual is loaning to a company they are sole director/shareholder of?
    Can you elaborate on what implications this could have if it's determined it's not an arms length agreement?

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Or c) issue 100000 x $1 shares.

You have purchased an investment (shares), probably get dividends and have a legit loan for investment purposes.

6. Paul@PAS

Or issue redeemable pref shares at 5%

7. Paul@PAS

Unless there is a scheme benefit I have never seen the ATO attack a related party loan .
    especially where there is a onlending of personal loan proceeds TO the company that it uses for income producing purposes

8. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Yes a related party loan can still be at arm's length.

Deductibility of interest is on issue - you are essentially diverting income to the company where it could be taxed at a lower rate.

But I have never seen the ATO concerned with this and have drafted many agreements where the rate was the same. But some accountants like their clients to charge a bit more than the bank charges them so that they can justify it as being more of an arm's length transaction.

Morriz likes this.
  9. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

If your company turnover exceeds $20m you will need to document the loan with a term not exceeding 10 years.

Otherwise their is a risk that the loan will be viewed as shares and treated the same.

Option 2.

Paul@PAS likes this.
  10. Paul@PAS

Yes Ross often overlooked.

Ross Forrester likes this.