Loan Tip: Not everyone needs an Offset Account

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Terry_w, 17th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bendigus

Bendigus Well-Known Member

I've neen thinking about this during this week.

I already have have an IP loan with offset. I am now considering another investment puchase.
    I have to decide between
    A) get another loan with offset.
    or
    B) get a basic loan without offset and save 0.3%. With several loan splits

I figure that until the day comes that I have fully offset my original IP then I have no need for anothet offset. Then when that day does arrive, I could then refinance.

The bank offer split with loans aswell. So I could also set up a few loan splits which might give some flexibility too.

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

How long will it take you to fill the offset? If a while then you probably won't need one - unless perhaps if your new loan has a higher rate

3. Bendigus

New loan will be 0.27% lower.

I'll have a crack at negotiating lower rate with offset. But I don't really need it.

Terry_w likes this.
  4. Bendigus

I specfically wondering about Gateway bank. After rate cut it should be 3.67%

Low Rate Essentials Loan

Given I don't have a great need for an offset and I have 20% deposit then I could even consider a non bank.

5. Dean Collins

Dean Collins Well-Known Member

I noticed macquarie bank are charging $0 per month for a "basic home loan" but if you want the offset version they charge $248pa

Makes good sense to me.

Bendigus and Terry_w like this.
  6. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

that assumption that one day we can refinance has proven not to be the case for many of my clients for various reasons.

probably a low risk issue for you, but can come and bite people hard if they have no other exit strategy and get to the end of a B&S campaign or the like.

ta
    rolf

7. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

Me too. But, while I’m good with numbers, I’m going to need to ensure that I’ve got a very clear head before I do it (ie. doing it with a glass of red sitting in front of me probably isn’t a good idea).

8. Pash81

Pash81 Well-Known Member

Is the ANZ simplicity plus rate a % discount from their standard variable rate? I saw that at the moment ANZ is offering 3.66% for investment loans under simplicity plus produt. But the question is that will this rate of 3.66% go down or up when the RBA moves rates up or down? Or is it a stand alone product and and not a % discount?

9. Markomire

Markomire Member

I am like the latter where I want to pay down my P&I as fast as possible since my circumstances don't really allow equity play or investing in the short term anyway- which is why I am thinking of going with Ubank for my first PPOR as it offers low rates but comes without an offset account.

However if I do want to get an IP in the long term can I just refinance to another bank that has an offset account then without much downside to it?

My analogy is like being safely incubated in the Ubank world with low rates, no ongoing fees until one is ready to join another bank that has higher rates, ongoing fee with an offset account. Could this be a sound strategy or do you see any pitfall to this?

Keeping in mind that Ubank doesn't charge an exit fee.

10. Terry_w

yes if you want an investment property you would be able to refinance when need to. Exit fees would be discharge of mortgage of about $350.

If you couldn't refinance because of serviceability, you wouldn't be getting an investment property anyway.

11. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

just on U bank and similar lenders without an offset.................

if you dont have advance payments, redraw isnt an issue.

If one does have a redraw, and a decent amount, be aware of the conditions of the redraw....

ta

rolf

6. RedrawClause 6 does not apply to a facility account that is a:• fixed rate facility.6.1 Requesting redrawIf you make additional payments on a facility account and the annual percentage rate on the account is a variable rate of interest, you may request to redraw from the account. We will agree to your request unless:
    • the amount you request is more than the available credit on the facility account; • we reasonably believe that you are unable to repay yourloan in accordance with the contract for yourloan or may be unable to do so if we make the redraw available to you;

• we reasonably believe that the information given to us about you is misleading or false;• we reasonably believe that we are unable to enforce a security;• you are in default. Please see clause 10.1 for when you may be in default; or•

the loanservicer does not consent to the redraw request.Redraws on a facility account will increase the amount you owe on the account.

Please consider carefully the financial consequences of a redraw before you request a redraw.6.2 How to redrawYou can redraw by:• making a request through StarNet (including via My UHomeLoan) or StarCall; or

• making a written request to UBank; or

• making a written request to us.

If we agree to your request to redraw an amount, we will credit the amount to the nominated account. We will seek to do so within two business days of receiving your redraw request.

12. Dan Wood

Dan Wood Well-Known Member

Hi @Terry_w

I'm looking at switching to either Athena or ubank solely based on their lower rates. They bother offer redraw.

What are the tax implications (if any) of withdrawing redraw for use other than for the investment itself?

Should a property investor be looking at Offset instead and does that have any effect on tax?

jakc likes this.
  13. Terry_w

if you pay into a loan you are making a repayment which will reduce to debt associated with the original use. If you redraw this will be treated for tax purposes as a new loan with deductibility depending on what those funds are used for.

It will also be a mixed loan.

My advice would be don't pay extra into an investment loan, but use an offset instead.

craigc and Dan Wood like this.
  14. Dan Wood

Dan Wood Well-Known Member

Thanks Terry, I thought as much.

Terry_w likes this.
  15. AyJay

AyJay Member

If you have say, 4 home loans (investments) would it be best to put all your savings in an offset (100 percent) against the investment with the highest interest rate?

Or could it be better to, instead spread your savings out across multiple offsets (all 100 percent) or perhaps put all your savings into an offset (100 percent) against the highest loan amount? (but not the highest interest rate)

Sorry, should work this out mathematically myself but just wondering if anyone else knows the answer.

16. Terry_w

It depends
    If the ownership is all the same (of the properties that the loans relate to) then generally you would want to put the money in the offset on the loan with the highest interest rate.

But there are exceptions
    - some IO loans
    - intending to move into one
    - intending to sell one property
    etc

Dan Wood and MWI like this.
  17. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

The poster does mention 4 loans as investments, but always consider the highest ‘after-tax’ interest rate.

Ie if there is a PPOR loan @ say 2.3% (non deductible so 2.3% after tax)
    and an IP loan @ say 2.8% (deductible so effective 1.76% after-tax on a 37% marginal tax rate), it would ‘normally’ be best to offset the PPOR even though it has a lower interest rate.

Again depends on your personal circumstances so if unsure seek professional advice.

Karlos1234 and Terry_w like this.
  18. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Need a little calculator to work this out :D

Eg

Unloan at 5.59% with redraw only

Or your loan with offset (insert amount) at ....% plus som ebanks charge extra to have that redraw facility

19. Bendigus

Of geepees alot has changed for me since I last posted. Bought homes, major renovations, kids, changed workplaces, lots more debt. Covid loxkdowns. Our new kitchen even has an air fryer setting on the over. The only thing I didn't do was buy a caravan or car.

I refinanced all my loans to being redraw only. With the one exception of my new ppor. Which will take me a long time to fill at my current rate

Terry_w and Redwing like this.
  20. Terry_w

You would unlikely need an offset on an investment loan until the offset on the non-deductible loan is full.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia