Loan & tax implication for this property purchase

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by crackles01, 28th Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. crackles01

crackles01 Active Member

So here's my situation: I've been looking for my next OO property with plans to turn the current home to IP. Target was to settle by Feb, as I have some commitments from March. I'm in early negotiation for one now, but not expecting to settle in 4 weeks, so I'm considering to stay in my current home for a few months (and maybe rent the new one out until i can move in?).

I've read similar posts here, but still a bit confused about the tax and loan implications. Can I still structure my loan as OO since I intend to live there? Or should this be Investment loan? I was told I'll have to restructure loan on my current home when it becomes IP as well. As for tax, since I'm unable to move in from day 1, I can't use the 6-year CGT-exemption, but can i claim tax deductions? And any other considerations I have missed?

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Get some proper legal advice.
    You could get oo rstes

3. crackles01

crackles01 Active Member

Thanks. Already consulting my broker and accountant, not solicitor yet.

4. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Depending on lender, some allow OO rates if the intention is to move into the property within 6 - 12 months.
    Not sure why you would need to restructure your existing OO loan when it becomes an IP, just becomes tax deductible without having to switch products/refi etc - I'm sure your accountant will confirm.

5. crackles01

crackles01 Active Member

Thanks Lindsay, good to know. The loan restructure was suggested by the broker. Will check with my accountant, thanks.

6. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Good chance your lenders docs will state u need to inform us of status change of OO to IP.

While there do the assessment of running IO for the deductible debt, and look at an active Debt Recycle strategy for the new PPOR if your risk profile suits

ta
    rolf