Loan Structure & Reducing Interest on PPOR

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by CuriousCat, 17th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. CuriousCat

CuriousCat Member

My husband and I currently have a home that is our PPOR and recently had it refinanced to free up the equity for future IP. Currently our loan is structured as $300k in P&I & $100k in Int only all being variable. While we zero in on the IP we want, we are paying a high amt of interest on the $100k. My question is if i put all of that $100k in our offset account so that offsets the int on our P&I loan and transfer that back when we are ready to invest so the interest on that would be fairly deductible, would that be a concern? Is this a good way of making your money work for you?

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

No.

Get some tax advice, sounds like you are creating issues here.

3. CuriousCat

CuriousCat Member

How do you mean? From ur comment it seems that withdrawing the 100k n placing in my offset would constitute personal usage and then subsequently transferring back to the loan account would imply a paying off of the loan ? Am i right here at all?

4. Terry_w

I am confused what you are doing, but if you borrow $100k and park it in an offset account on the main residence loan the interest won't be deductible on the $100k.

5. CuriousCat

CuriousCat Member

my intention is to use that 100k to lower the interest i pay on the loan overall till we make a decision on the IP we want

6. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

create a separate offset on the 100 k or stick it in the redraw of the 100 k

either way would have been the right way from the start

Lumping the borrowed cash in with savings ........ not a good look for tax dedns in the future on the 100 k borrowed

see Domjan V Ato

ta

rol

7. Terry_w

That doesn't make the interest tax deductible.

I would do what Rolf suggests, make a new offset account linked to the $100k loan and park it there. Then pay back into the loan and redraw at the time you want to invest.

8. CuriousCat

CuriousCat Member

Following the above, offset of 100k will now offset the $100k loan from the bank which will lead to no interest and upon deciding where to invest i can pay back for eg $50k into the loan and subsequently withdraw to pay down as deposit for whatever IP?

9. Terry_w

Tax Tip 1: Parking borrowed money in an offset account https://propertychat.com.au/communi...ing-borrowed-money-in-an-offset-account.1313/

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia