Loan structure if buyin PPOR that may convert to IP

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by purkulator, 26th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. purkulator

purkulator Well-Known Member

If I want to buy a PPOR but may in year to come find an alternative PPOR and convert the current PPOR to an IP what is the best loan structure in the case so that I can draw out the equity to place into the new PPOR as it is non deductible?

IO vs PI
    Fixed vs variable
    Offset facility?

2. Tony Xia

Tony Xia Structured Loan Advisor Business Member

If the property will 100% turn to an Inv in the short run then you would want to do it as IO to maintain its full tax deductions.

But when you find a new PPOR you'll restructure the original PPOR to an investment interest only to obtain the lower IO rate, as IO for PPOR loans are higher.

If there is usuable equity on the property in a year's time then you can draw it out, but that portion of the loan should be P&I since its for owner occupied use.

3. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

... with an Offset to hold any/all spare cash.

Ideally this Offset balance should increase each and every month. As a minimum, the increase should equal the principal component of the loan as if it was P&I. In other words, you are mimicking a P&I loan but the principle component is going into the Offset, not to the bank.

When the time comes to buy the next PPOR, one can withdraw all the Offset funds for the purchase and the interest on those funds is tax deductible as the first loan is now against an IP.

craigc likes this.
  4. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Better to understand what the difference is between saving money into an offset v paying money directly into the loan.

5. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

can you borrow 105%. Ideally don't pay any down. Offset

6. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Dont know zip of your respouces or risk profile.

A typical best practice solution for the right risk profile is IO with 100 % offset AND an active debt recycle strategy because the best prepated plans for a new PPOR and old PPOR to IP conversion often dont come to fruition.

Paying the thing down while maintaining deductions may prove powerful.

Pls seek specific tax and financial advice

ta
    rolf

7. purkulator

I just spoke to my accountant about P and I vs fixed.
    He told me if I was to convert the purchase (PPOR) into IP within say 5 years, then I have to consider the higher interest cost on the whole loan for the 5 years (IO being higher) vs the principal contributed over 5 years which can be quite minimal and won't be deductible throughout the life of the loan as an IP. He reckons because the higher interest on an IO loan is on 100% of the loan vs sacrificing a small portion of principal paid on a lower interest rate, I would still be ahead. I believe the different in P and I and IO is about 0.5% currently?
    Assume loan balance where interest is payable is 1M
    What are peoples thoughts on this?

8. Rolf Latham

Not enough data really.

30 to 60 pts spread is a given, and larger on fixed

The actual modelling isnt as relevant as to what you do with the extra cashflow.

Of one doesnt deploy the extra cash into an income producing and growth asset Via an active debt recycle strategy there is little if any benefit in most cases.

Its right there where many folks over-optimise on rate and or structure but dont attend to the real issue - that being the slight edge principle.

Sticking 5 k into an equity investment of some sort here and there will help, but nothing beats a regular investment plan mixed with a spending plan ( budget is a dirty word for many)

ta
    rolf

9. purkulator

Well it is, i was to know if i got 2 structures to choose from, which structure would allow me to be further forward. Naturally the asset selection will determine the returns in the end but the structure of the mortgage is something we cna fully control and therefore should optimise.

10. Rolf Latham

Chicken or egg.

Good examples this week of a client that chased the lowest 4 year fixed rate a few months back, left enough variable to allow for extra repayments over the 4 years,, and now has discovered that to enable an active debt recycle strategy needs to not just break the fixed but also move lenders

Not a disaster, just a cost of doing business

Where that does quickly become an issue is if LMI is involved or there is a softening in the market

ta
    rolf