Loan servicing - treatment of dependents

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by ooneil, 8th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ooneil

ooneil Member

Hi everyone,

I have a question around how banks treat the expenses for dependents for someone who is separated and does not have them full time. I have 2 children under 7 which adds ~$1,000 per month to living expenses for serviceability, however I only have the kids for an average of 1 night per week.

How do banks treat this? Do they pro-rata the expenses given I only have them 14% of the time? Then that leads into the next question is how do they deal with child support? Am I able to include this amount in my cost of living estimate or is this counted as an additional expense?

I realise different lenders will likely have different rules however any general help here would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :)

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Are they dependant on you?

3. ooneil

ooneil Member

For the time they are in my care the answer would be yes.

4. Terry_w

in that case I think you will need to declare them as dependants. There is no apportionment ability in any of the serviceability calcs, but you could try to argue your case - but I don't like the chances. If it was close to getting you over the line they may accept it though.

5. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

It might be possible to get some sort of apportionment if a copy of your parenting agreement is available. Some lenders might accept lower living expenses on that basis if you can accompany it with a detailed budget breakdown. It would also help if that budget was backed up by actual behavior on an account statement.

Realistically though, I don't think there's much chance of getting this type of exception.

Last edited: 8th Dec, 2016
  6. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

You're going to need to get your broker to do some calling around on this - and get something in writing from someone in credit.

Cheers

Jamie

7. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

Interesting one, it may be possible as i've never investigated it, but i doubt banks would apportion, particularly right now. They're generally very strict on minimum living expenses and don't budge on it.

8. miximitosis

miximitosis Well-Known Member

I've have argued it before but we had confirmed evidence via family allowance payments from Centrelink showing 50/50 custody.

9. ooneil

ooneil Member

Thanks everyone for answers. I had thought this may have been a more common occurrence. I guess a lot of people in my situation would just put down no dependents on an application.

Thankfully im not relying on that to service for this purchase but i was thinking ahead to the effect that might have on any future purchase.

10. Terry_w

Well you need to think ahead too. Because if you say you have 2 dependants now, but in a few years you say you have no dependants questions may be asked - if you are using the same lender or same mortgage insurer.

Sonamic likes this.
  11. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

I got common sense from liberty and pepper for a similar scenario, 50/50 for two kids means living expenses of one.

Both lenders can use Centrelink and child support income which is also important with this type of borrower.

ooneil likes this.
  12. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

Ditto - I've done the exact same thing with Liberty without issue, an obvious area where these types of lenders shine.

13. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Do you pay child support for the children?

14. ooneil

ooneil Member

Yes i do.

15. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

No problem - CBA will accept not taking the children into account as dependants if you declare the child support payment amount (which you would normally) and include any of the costs (14% extra etc) in your declared monthly living expense.

ooneil likes this.
  16. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

I'm pretty sure most lenders would then just load the child support payments as an ongoing commitment and leave the kids off as dependents.

Cheers

Jamie

tobe likes this.
  17. ooneil

ooneil Member

Thanks for the answers everyone. I appreciate you all sharing your knowledge. :)