Loan Pre-approval - inpact on credit rating

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by pugstar205, 1st Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. S0805

S0805 Well-Known Member

Terry, so do lender raises queries to broker for all access for certain past months....If they are being selective then they might miss access which was denied....

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Sometimes they ask, sometimes they don't. Sometimes they ask obvious questions other times they don't ask when they should.

S0805 likes this.
  3. Bubica42

Bubica42 Well-Known Member

Why do you think Gold Coast? I am trying to build on the Gold Coast. 80% LVR. Will this be a problem with finance?

4. Bubica42

Was it an 80% LVR? I recently had the same experience with a construction loan with NAB. Went for 80%, however they offered to my former broker 70%LVR. Had to do with their new risk assessment policy or whatever, where they class certain postcodes as category A or B and they would only do a 70%LVR on cat A postcodes. Unfortunately for me, my postcode was cat A, although the suburb was not one of the listed as cat A.
    Cheers,

Alina

5. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

No - done plenty of high LVR loans up that way.

Hit up @Rolf Latham - he's a finance guru and is located up in the GC.

Cheers

Jamie

Bubica42 likes this.
  6. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

All of my funds and borrowing limits etc were well within the requirements - the broker did the affordability calcs on 7.5%, and I had over 30% deposit. This all happened much earlier this year, before the new limits were introduced.

Even the broker was left gob-smacked by the whole experience............ :eek:

7. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of doing pre-approvals unless there are exceptional or tight circumstances around the purchase. No need for a credit file hit for the sake of it, especially for someone who is building a portfolio and may have multiple loan apps/top ups happening in a short-ish period of time.

Did this, by chance, happen when the APRA changes rolled through NAB? Was your pre-approval in place before the APRA changes, but offer was made and accepted after the changes?

My last purchase was a bit tight because NAB had provided pre-approval which gave me 90 days to make a purchase and be assessed on the pre-APRA calculators, which we also had confirmed in writing, then the purchase came along and they reneged on their word so there was a bit of a battle to get the deal through. The only reason a pre-approval was obtained was to open that 90 day window..

It also didn't help that their valuer thought the property would rent for $400/week when in fact I got $565/week.

8. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

Application was put in during late December 2014, with pre-approval given in early January 2015 and the purchase was made mid-March 2015.

Steven Ryan likes this.
  9. Bubica42

Thanks Jamie ! It's complicated. .... Cheers!

10. Ben John1

Ben John1 Well-Known Member

Just wondering, what would happen if you did not put subject to finance or got the IP through auction. Could be an absolute nightmare :(

11. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

...and a dream for someone else...... our PPOR was crashed after auction when the buyer couldn't get finance. It was like 3 months after the auction it crashed, and a few more months of marketing so it was a nightmare for the vendors too I imagine. Along came us, offered money - hey our first PPOR!!

The Y-man

Last edited: 5th Jul, 2018
    Ben John1 likes this.
  12. Ben John1

Ben John1 Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing @The Y-man I recently missed a property which tick all the boxes due to my inexperience. Still somehow hoping if I could get another go, lesson learned.

13. Harry30

Harry30 Well-Known Member

Is that 21 days reasonably standard? That is, if you put in an offer on a property subject to finance, it will take the bank (assume that you already have pre-approval from the bank) 21 days to absolutely confirm funding approval?

14. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Many can do it in 1 to 7. . some are taking 6 weeks :(

Ta

Rolf

15. Harry30

Thanks Rolf.

16. Harry30

Suggests that when you are putting in offers ‘subject to finance’, you should ask for at least 10 days from the vendor to confirm finance (assuming you already have pre approval). And if you don’t have the approval letter at the 10 day point, but are close, you ask for an extension from the vendor of another few days.

17. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

usually your broker can have a good indication of time required

BUT

we recently had one where 10 days was quoted and it was a lender we dont use a lot............. 6 weeks later we had an approval

ta
    rolf

18. Harry30

Can’t imagine the vendor was happy with a conditional contract that lasted 6 weeks? I suppose it depends on how hot the market is, and what you are prepared to accept!

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia