Loan for investment question

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Redom, 1st Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

Hi experts!

I think I know the answer to this, but seeking some clarification from those with more know how than me!

Scenario:
    • Bob seeks a loan for investing in shares (but not secured by those shares).
    • He gets it & then buys those shares.
    • 6 months later, Bob decides to liquidate those shares & uses the proceeds from sale for personal use.

Context:

• Bob has a portfolio of assets that includes shares/property/etc.

Question:

• Can Bob continue to claim the interest expense on the original loan to buy shares? Note, these particular shares are no longer owned and there's no income being derived from them specifically. Investment income being derived though.

2. ChrisP73

ChrisP73 Well-Known Member

Yes, but he might go to jail if the ato find out .

Seriously: No.

Peter_Tersteeg and Redom like this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The purpose of the loan has changed from investment to personal. When the funds cease to be used for investment, then the interest can no longer be claimed. (I have NFI - not financial advice)

Redom likes this.
  4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

No.

But if the shares were sold at an amount less than the loan used to acquire them then the interest on this shortfall could potentially be claimed.

Redom likes this.
  5. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

Cool - was pretty sure, but thanks for the clarification!

Terry_w likes this.
  6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

When money is borrowed for a specific purpose then the loan interest ceases to be deductible if the relevant asset is sold and the loan is not repaid.

There is an exception to this rule that ends the deductible interest. That is if the total proceeds from the sale of the relevant asset is not sufficient to discharge the debt. Then the interest may continue to be deductible.

Its also worthwhile remembering that deductible loan interest will depend on if shares / securities produce income. Shares / securities acquired for resale at a profit that dont pay any income wont meet this test. The interest may be a factor in a CGT calc.

And any non-deductible interest may be a 3rd element CGT cost.