Loan Documents

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Fabs90, 24th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Fabs90

Fabs90 Well-Known Member

Hi All,

This coming 10th of April is settlement day but I haven't receive loan documents yet (Westpac business as I am buying in a trust)
    Is this normal? I am very worry.

1. I applied for a pre approval, and after 1 month never got it. I decided to put an offer anyway.
    2. for finance, the valuer was sent 1 day before the end of the finance condition. As a result, a verbal valuation had to be done as opposed to a written report.
    3. the unconditional approval was done at the end of the finance condition day with an email saying that the bank will lend the 80% of the valuation. But never they put that I was unconditionally approved even though it was requested many times by the vendor solicitor, the broker and myself. This was 2 weeks ago, banker said he will do it, but nothing yet.
    As I said, in 2 weeks is settlement, and I haven't receive any document yet.
    What can I do?

Thanks,
    Fabiana

2. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

Are you going through a broker, or are you dealing directly with the bank? Hopefully, a broker - they can then help you get this sorted - I've found that banks tend to listen to them, and their degree of urgency mores than when I'm trying to get something done.

But I've had a few transactions where the timing has been very tight (and the turn around time on the paperwork has been very difficult to meet, especially if you have to get things witnessed by a solicitor etc). If you haven't heard anything by the time the mail is delivered today, is there any way that you can go into a branch and talk to a person, face to face? While they can't print the documents for you, they should be able to check on their system and see if the documents have been printed and posted. I tend to find I get answers more quickly when I use face to face - if I use the phone, I just keep getting transferred or put on hold.

Good luck.

Perthguy likes this.
  3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Yes you should be worried. Chase it up asap.

4. Fabs90

Fabs90 Well-Known Member

Yes, I have a broker and I have been asking him to call the banker every day, but things were not done within the required deadlines.

The broker says he is calling the banker all the time.
    I dont know what else can I do!!!!

5. Terry_w

Sounds like it is not approved yet.

6. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Try calling the bank as well.
    Can you ask them why the bank is slow? Are they waiting for certain details?

On my last settlement the bank was ready 3 hours before settlement needed to happen, that's after a week delay and many many communications from my broker and solicitor. I'd write on banks and contact them from any channels you can, including their social media.

7. Fabs90

Fabs90 Well-Known Member

What does it mean that " it is not approved yet"?
    What does it need to happen for the loan to be approved?

Which is the minimum time before settlement that I can receive loan documents? My solicitor said 2 weeks, no less than this. If not I won.t have enought time to settle on time

8. Fabs90

Fabs90 Well-Known Member

I have the name of the banker but not any contact detail. If I ask my broker, he won't give me the banker contact details

9. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Not approved yet means that the bank hasn't come to a decision on whether they're going to lend to you? Has valuation results came up? Whose letter it is that you received in regards of 80% lending?

You have the name, so try calling the bank directly.

10. BarneyRubble

BarneyRubble Well-Known Member

You need to be very concerned. It appears you are going through a broker. Go see them (don't call) today. Find out why paperwork has not been received. Do not leave until you have an answer on when you will get it.

You need to keep your solicitor in the loop with status too.

11. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Sounds strange.

Westpac usually dispatch docs to your local branch quickly after unconditional approval is issued.

Cheers

Jamie

12. Fabs90

Fabs90 Well-Known Member

Yes, valuation was done and the bank confirmed they will lend 80% of the valuation.
    The banker said that he expected to receive loan documents last Wednesday or yesterday, but nothing.

I just received an email from my broker and he could talk with the banker and said the banker saw my contract but it appears that it was an error.

I feel that this is another excuse as things are not done.

13. Fabs90

Fabs90 Well-Known Member

I was told that because this is a trust and it is the business lending and just depends on 1 person, things are different and that is why is taking longer. For residential is straight forward, but not the business department to assess a business loan (because I am buying in a discretionary trust) but still a residential house
    Is this true?
    Finance was approved last 9th March

14. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Our experience from our last settlement:

A month before settlement: all forms submitted, loans approved etc

2 business days before settlement (T-2 days):
    Our lawyer: "Hey we can't book settlement - bank says document missing"
    Us to broker: "Hey bank says document missing - can you chase up"
    Broker: "Bank says document with lawyer"

Next day (T-1 day):
    Our Lawyer: "Nothing here. Have talked to bank - says they have sent email to broker advising"
    Broker: "I think I have figured out - they have sent to the Bank's lawyer"
    Bank's Lawyer: "Yes, I have a document here - it's missing a signature by the Mrs"
    Broker: "Can it be emailed/scanned sent electronically to be signed?"
    Bank's Lawyer: "No...."
    Mrs: "Uh, where is this lawyer? I'm going to his office"
    Bank's lawyer: "So Mr Broker, we will need to post this off and will delay everything a few days...... oh hang on I think the borrower is at my door"

Mrs signs document.

Bank's Lawyer: "Good! All signed - now did I tell you this lender needs 2 Business days notice to book a settlement meeting?" <Threatening look from Mrs> ".....but let's see what can be done...."

Settlement Day 10am:
    Our Lawyer: "Ok, booked settlement for midday. Figured out the settlement amount now. Can you get a bank cheque for $X to us this morning"
    <Mrs off to bank, get cheque, off to our lawyer to drop off>

Settlement happened!

Moral of story:
    There are many places the process can stop.

Second moral of story:
    Need good spouse to run around the CBD ready to walk into offices of people involved. Nothing like face to face even in this electronic age.

The Y-man

15. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

That's awesome @The Y-man

In my case it's more like this

15 days before settlement
    Broker: Waiting for Bank's response to whether they need more documents. Bank said as it's a re-application there won't be any new documents to be signed

14 Days before settlement
    Broker: The staff was wrong. We there will be new documents to sign.

9 Days before settlement (I was on holiday in Japan)
    Broker: Bank still need xyz documents
    Me: Sent all docs 1 hour later from phone, gave broker a skype call to double-check

8 Days before settlement
    Broker: Unconditional approval obtained. Document sent via express. Should arrive Friday

6 Days before settlement on Saturday
    Me: Documents are not there!!! Can I print it out in local branch Monday?

Fast forward, document sent via express post to bank Reply paid address on Monday

Settlement Day
    Bank: Documents are not here yet.
    Settlement delayed for a week :confused:

The week after everyday towards extended settlement
    Me: Where are we?!
    Bank: Documents with verification team. But they don't have phone contacts so I can't tell you. It has been escalated by your broker. Have you talked to your broker?
    Me: Yes! But they're not the one processing the documents!

1 Day before settlement
    Solicitor: Bank is asking for document we can't provide
    Me: @#!@#$!
    Broker: Will chase it up, it should be all ok to book the morning on settlement day

Settlement day - Bank finally ready to settle 3 hours before settlement should have been done.

Lesson: it can still all go wrong even after all the effort

16. Jjjjj

Jjjjj Active Member

Is it just me or do you think Australia is in the Stone Age or dinosaur age when it comes to property transactions. Why can't we develope a system where there is a portal where all related parties can upload docs and instead of 20 bank cheques, money can be transferred electronically.

Heinz57 likes this.
  17. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Electronic settlement has been on the way for a while now, as well as legally accepted digital certified signatures.

The Y-man

18. Fabs90

Fabs90 Well-Known Member

Unconditional approval was due 2 weeks ago and bank wrote a 2 line email saying that they will lend me the money.
    Solicitor requested a letter saying I was unconditionally approved. Today, 15 days later after I paid 10% deposit 2 weeks ago and finance clause it is not valid any more, I received an email saying I was unconditionally approved.

2 weeks before settlement, there is no loan documents to be signed.
    Solicitor is asking for a loan reference number, there is nothing.
    My broker is saying that I am impatient, that this is normal with the business lending.

It's been 6 weeks since I signed the contract, in 2 weeks it is settlement and it does not exist any clue about the existence of a loan document so I can settle on this property.

No one cares. And it is affecting me with many other private issues. I cannot afford any delay in settlement. And how it goes they need at least 2 months more.

What can I do if no one cares.

Perthguy likes this.
  19. Terry_w

Keep pushing.

Once approved docs should come pretty quickly now and you still have plenty of time.

If property is in NSW you may have another 2 weeks on top.

20. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

Sounds like its having to be done with a WBC biz partner who may be dragging their feet. Depending on the person will determine the quality of the transaction, I dealt with a similar style file recently and was seamless - as the party on the bank side we were working with was excellent.

The broker will just need to keep pushing the banker and ideally the person above that banker. Likewise their BDM should weigh into the situation to hopefully resolve it.

This is all based on a scenario wherein the broker/banker aren't keeping quiet while they try resolve any issues in the application.

flyhere and Perthguy like this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia