Load bearing wall?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by paulF, 25th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Actually that is incorrect. Permits have nothing to do with rates.

It is for safety, in general.

2. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

In part, more strength is better ;)
    I did tie it all in to the structure at the other end of the house.
    It is the upper storey (tile roof), so also reinforced the floor.
    Originally i was going to run a beam straight accross at door height, so glad we went "up and over" as it is so much more OPEN now.

As stated earlier in this thread, "try to put any beam in the ceiling/cavity to hide it" :D

Attached Files:

Perthguy likes this.
  3. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Permits are used as part of capital improved valuation...

And locks are only for honest people !o_O

No offence, but I've been to so many open for inspections and seen many a dodgy or illegal works, when I'veasked for engineering/certificates/permits the agents mmmuuummmbbbllle and I never hear another thing from them :rolleyes:
    Hence buyer beware, get a building and pest report before handing over your hard earned :p

4. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Thx for the input guys,
    @Stoffo , that's some great results! Looks great.

Engineer and going through council for sure! Not worth the worry to be honest!

5. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Did u have to get council approval as well? Do most people go through council for something like this from a praticality standpoint ?

6. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

I did the same - about a 5.5m opening. Engineered, then builder quotes, then certifier appointment and builder appointment, then get it done, then certifier in to signoff, then send docs to the council (govt). That's in the ACT.
    I don't know about elsewhere, but noone here is going to buy a house where the plans on file are so different to the actual state of the residence. Well, not without an enormous reduction in price. It's not easy - purposely - to get retrospective certification and approval.

7. lewy89

lewy89 Well-Known Member

No I didn't get council approval... I can't remember the justification I had at the time

8. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Reviving this again while i organise engineering even though my builder mate, which is a mate of mine mentioned it's a waste of money. I insisted i wanted the job engineered just for the piece of mind.

Went online to my council's site to submit an application to get the old building plans and they had a note stating "Council does not hold plans for buildings more than 30 years old" and the property is older than that.
    Also, in the Contract , there was a Land or Building Information request submitted to council and it says:
    "Council records indicate that there have been no Building permits issued for this building in the last ten years"

Considering the above and also that i don't plan on selling in the next 5 years (7 years of ownership in total by then), i think i will pass on applying for council as it sounds like a waste of time/money.

Thanks again for all the great info guys, helped a lot. Will keep posting progress as i go!

Stoffo and Perthguy like this.
  9. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Updated plan! Moving very slowly but getting there! Engineering hopefully should be done this week

proposed-plan.png

Perthguy likes this.
  10. penfold25

penfold25 Member

Any recommendations in melb for engineers and builders who can do something similar.

11. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Looks good! :)

12. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

@penfold25 , i went with a local architect in Pascoe vale close to my house(greenvillehomes.com.au) He was prompt and on time and very nice to work with.
    He also gave me the number of a builder who is coming to checkout the job today so can't recommend him for you yet i guess! I'll see how he goes with the quote today and get back to you if you like
    @Perthguy , thank you! Really looking forward to doing this and the cost is going to be very minimal it seems for such a transformation!

Perthguy likes this.
  13. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Try the Archicentre

14. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I would get rid of the door from the kitchen to the laundry and put in extra cupboards and bench space.

paulF likes this.
  15. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

I will be doing this in my house in a couple of months. knocking out 4 walls to make kitchen, lounge, dining room all one room. I will need to put 3 new strutting beams in the roof and a couple of hanging beams.

Perthguy and paulF like this.
  16. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Finally, work starts next week with a change in plans. Decided not to remove the wall on the right side of the entrance and to just open up the Kitchen to the lounge(Only removing that yellow wall, the one with the Paris wall art in the second photo ...).
    Thought about it a lot and didn't see any merit in removing that wall and opening up the bedrooms to the kitchen/lounge area . I like open plan setups but i think having some separation between the bedrooms and the other parts of the house is more functional and makes more sense(no noise/smell from kitchen or lounge and more privacy).
    Plus in my instance, that area will not be usable any way as in can't add more chairs or anything like that so only benefit would have been to make the space look bigger. instead of all this, i'll be replacing the front door with one that has lots of glass in it so it will let light in and help make that dim entrance much more friendly and inviting! That's the plan anyway lol

Attached Files:

Perthguy likes this.
  17. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Hey guys,
    Got a quote of 2800$ to remove that one wall only? Sounds reasonable?
    The opening is around 4.2 meters(using two lamintated tassie oak LVL's) and they will be moving a power point and doing some plaster work and also taking the rubbish away too.

Cheers

Perthguy likes this.
  18. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

Seems ok to me, considering it requires 3 x trades.

paulF likes this.
  19. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Thx @vbplease , does sound ok. Just asked him to re-quote with the rubbish removal as a mate of mine with a trailer volunteered to help but other than that, it seems a fair quote

20. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

A very good price! Make sure they have insurance - sight the details and/or ring the insurer to make sure they are uptodate. Are they painting as well?