LMI Refunds making a comeback?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Terry_w, 18th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Just received a broker email from ANZ saying they will reintroduce LMI refunds under certain circumstances. It used to be common practice, but all lenders gradually discontinued the practice, hopefully others will follow ANZ

Here is more:
    ANZ may (but is not required to) give you a partial refund of the premium you paid for a Lenders Mortgage Insurance policy for your loan if that loan is repaid early, subject to the following:
    1. The policy was issued on or after 1 October 2017.
    2. The loan is repaid in full (e.g. not partially discharged or refinanced internally within ANZ or consolidated with other loans) within 24 months from the date the policy commenced.
    3. The policy is fully terminated (e.g. does not continue in respect of other loans).
    4. The policy is not subject to any claim at the time the loan is repaid in full.
    5. Any security given in relation to the repaid loan does not continue to secure any other loan you have.
    6. If ANZ gives you a refund, the refund amount will be: a) 50% of the premium you paid, if the loan was fully repaid within 12 months from the date the policy commenced; or b) 25% of the premium you paid, if the loan was fully repaid within 24 months from the date the policy commenced.

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

I suspect overall there is more to this than meets the immediate eye :)

ANZ was one of the few that used to do this in the " old days".

I expect there is some regulatory push on this in the middle term.

I once heard that most LMI claims are within 18 mths.

One MAJOR problem i foresee is the same as before and that is a focus on a refund back from LMI, but ignoring actual financial middle to long term strategy

ta
    rolf

3. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

The current situation of no refund, no portability for LMI is a rort, I was hoping it would get some focus from the Royal Commission. ANZ's move is a step in the right direction, although it's a bit tokenistic. It takes a good 5+ years to pay down from 90% to 80% LVR when property values arent increasing, so an LMI premium generally insures more than just the first 2 years of a loan.

The only reason I can think ANZ would do this is to act first out of fear of being regulated to do it on less-favorable (read: fairer to customers) terms. In a world of declining property prices and equity, the harsh reality of having to pay full LMI again to access a refinance will really start to be noticed.

I expect a few other lenders will follow suit. So that the industry isn't left flat-footed when the ACCC or the productivity commission inevitably start making noises about it.

Terry_w likes this.
  4. Rolf Latham

Many lenders do NOT self insure, they use direct insurance, rather than portfolio reinsurance or self insurance................ good luck getting The gov to hassle Genworth or QBE to give back any premium to a lender so they can provide it back to a consumer.

One thing that is more likely on the table is portability or substitution and or credit of LMI between subsequent properties AND lenders.

Refi wont require a full new LMI premium, moving house wont require a new LMI premium......... Imagine what that would do for competition, and a bit of a boost to a slowing housing based economy generally...........

But these real first home buyer and upgrader, and increase of competition things wont be implemented in a hurry because govs are "forced" to have a narrower focus of idealistic and impractical regulatory frameworks due to various competing commitments.

ta
    rolf

Rex likes this.
  5. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Exactly @Rolf Latham - true LMI portability makes sense, is equitable and would fix the problem. Not going to hold my breath though.

6. Rolf Latham

That context of equitable will likely cost many more, that wont ever need it again...............

It will raise the cost of an average premium for sure, because it will likely also reduce competition, since the lenders that insure "direct" will then have to use an outside provider.

Will likely reduce competition and hand the likes of Genworth and QBE a possible duopoly.

How much of an increase, who knows ?

ta
    rolf

7. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

So I read this as if you paid 10k in LMI and then refinanced to another lender after 2 years then you would receive back 2.5k of the initial premium?

8. Terry_w

that is how I read it too.
    This will encourage people to refinance perhaps - and to pay down their loan asap while adding value.

9. Rolf Latham

Often to the borrowers longer term detriment, get 2500 back, burn 7500 of valeu one may have been able to regear.

Happens even now where people chase a lower rate, but dont quite understand the future cost of the refinance

ta

rolf

Terry_w likes this.
  10. ChrisP73

ChrisP73 Well-Known Member

Honestly, shouldn't even be a consideration though should it.

Spend less, save more, buy well, borrow less, add value. Repeat.

Antoni0 likes this.
  11. HonestShiba

HonestShiba Well-Known Member

Anyone happen to know if Firstmac LRF has a partial refund if paid out within 24 months?

12. Terry_w

I don't think so.

HonestShiba likes this.
  13. Rolf Latham

Confirmed the answer is NO.

ta
    rolf

HonestShiba likes this.